Science Forums

What is the global market value of science?

hallenrm

Sometimes I wonder, if enough people consider it worthwhile to invest in science:confused: And I emphasise science I do not include technology.

What I perceive from my social surroundings is, that at present, religion, say it spiriualism, has a much higher market value than science. All because of the social insecurities the common man faces in daily life, which are a direct consequence of some power hungary politicians, and the ambitions of stinkingly rich industrialists, for whom nothing matters more than the returns in the "stock market".

Many religions have a built in tax system (tithing), and broad marketing arms of products that are mandated by (kosher foods) or promote (Bibles, bumper stickers, tee-shirts) the religion. Successful religions recognize the importance of money for maintaining a central organization to keep a central message and to provide services to memevbers and the general public. Other profit from the natural market of belivers.

There is also a large "counter market" for people who feel in necessary to buy stuff that advertises their contempt of religion.

Science provides no value until the knowledge gained is applied to our lives in some fashion. It is a sunk cost unless we can make use of it. But science is at the root of EVERYTHING that is part of the world market. And an idea from a single mind can change the way of life for the whole world.

Bill

Even the idea of a Global Market is science (economics). Computers, automobiles, shipping, airplanes, electricity, everything that makes the modern world modern can be attributed directly to scientific endeavors. While people might want religion to feed their souls, it's science that helps put food on their table.

..............................................................................Computers, automobiles, shipping, airplanes, electricity, everything that makes the modern world modern can be attributed directly to scientific endeavors. While people might want religion to feed their souls, it's science that helps put food on their table.

Nobody, indeed nobody can dispute your assertion. But, Computers, automobiles, shipping, airplanes, electricity are all products of technology, that resulted from science several hundred years ago. What is the contribution of science in past hundred years, except DNA fingerprinting etc.

The fact of the life is that one cando without any of these products, infact millions of people in trhe third world survive without feeling an urgent need for them. They are not even sure of water and food for the next day, there only need is hope, which religion provides them, through a belief in God.

Yes, in the developed world many people realize the importance of science, that is the reason they are developed today. But, mark the word GLOBAL in my question.:eek2:

millions of people in the third world survive without feeling an urgent need for them. They are not even sure of water and food for the next day, there only need is hope, which religion provides them, through a belief in God.

If they are not sure of water and food for the next day, would they not need science to advance furthur? Science has provided me with more water and food than God has (unless you would choose to argue that all things come from God, including science). I'd rather have food and water than hope.

As to science in the past hundred years, how about modern medicine? Modern vaccines have eliminated some diseases, and medicine has made some fatal diseases into chronic diseases. Nuclear power (clean and efficient). Instantaneous communication world wide. Satellites that can help predict weather, making life much easier for many people (farmers, sailors, pilots) and keep people safer (hurricane/tornado/flood warnings).

Well, as far as I know, I am part of a global community, as are the rest of the people who live in the modern world. It seems that you don't want to hear about how science has helped people, because you are too intent on focusing on people who have not yet received the benefits of that science completely. That's like asking how cars have helped people who don't have them, or how computers have helped information reach those with no access to one.

......................It seems that you don't want to hear about how science has helped people, because you are too intent on focusing on people who have not yet received the benefits of that science completely. That's like asking how cars have helped people who don't have them, or how computers have helped information reach those with no access to one.

There you are mistaken dave, I know how much science has helped the humanity, in fact I have invested heavily in science, time as well as money. The reason of my comments is the sense that the benefits of science have not percolated sufficiently to a large proportion of the humanity. Call it the limitations of the scientists or social structures under which science flourished, but no one can deny that much more needs to be done to draw the attention of the masses to the new edifice called science.

I believe that science can take the place of religion in the personal ethos of many mre people, only it requires a concerted effort from the people who really believe in it.:shrug: