Science Forums

Entertainment

Panda

With the advent of two reality shows where people trade spouses (Wifeswap on ABC and Trading Spouses on FOX) I think entertainment has gone too far. In five years there will probablly be a show where death row inmates are forced to kill each other. And with movies like Kill Bill that blur line between entertainment and pure insanity I think society is heading down the wrong road.

Panda, while I will agree, I'm wondering if you have a question, or are just asking for opinions. We discussed something similar in a thread on morality, but I realize that was before you joined. And as *I* did not read through the content of every thread before joining to make sure I did not post something already covered, I certainly don't expect you to have done so either. Therefore, before one of my esteemed co-moderators tells you that we've already discussed it, I'll let you know; and ask you to start a discussion rather than just making a statement.

Personally, I think this topic has some value and I look forward to reading the replies posted by others.

So Irish, is it OK for me to post here, or do I wait to see if the old thread is resurrected? I know you love Resurrections! :-)

One comment, the original post and reply show obvious US bias. Media, including TV, have a wide variation in morals standards based on location. Even within the US itself, the local programming can vary dramatically. In some parts of the world, their TV programming would shock US population. e.g. "The Nude News" which is getting popular in some areas.

TV's have on/off switches and channel changing ability. As do radios. If you don't like what is on, don't watch it. Is this concept confusing? Programming, especially in areas such as the US where the media is privately owned by (mainly large) companies and they are driven by money motivation. They show what people will pay to watch. Or in a similar motivation, they will show what people will watch and then charge others to advertise to those watching. If people didn't want to watch this stuff, it would not be on.

Freethinker said:

I think it is safe to assume that the regular posters here are not part of the "great unwashed masses". Even those living in the US of A.

Well most of us aren't fat because we type so much that we burn all those extra calories. We argue and therefore we strive to learn to become smatrer then the general population. And posting regularly indicates a lack of life...

Originally posted by: alexander

posting regularly indicates a lack of life...

Funny. I dont agree either im afraid. Dont know if i can come up with a concise argument against it mind; seem to have more questions for why this is so rather than answers for why it isnt (or is for that matter).

I suppose underneath it is the belief that visiting sites like this and regulary taking part in the discussions is seen as pretty crap, pointless and boring? I want to be more knowledgable, for my own sake (because i think it's good ), and the fact that i could argue the pros and cons of my knowledge (information) with likewise knowledgable people (which i enjoy and is fun for me; beats the hell out of watching TV and there's always the chance that ya gonna learn somefin'). I find myself visiting and only reading stuff because i've got nothing to say a lot - much more fun taking part than being an observer all the time i feel.

Oh yes (almost forgot!), "all americans are overweight, burger chomping, over enthusiastic, gung-ho, big-headed, arrogant BLOODY YANKS!"

lol - surprises me how rife this tripe is actually

EDIT: in all fairness actually i think there's a lot to admire about the americans enthusiasm. They always seem to be a happy energetic people to me. The world could be a lot better place if we took a leaf out of their book! But hey, this is just a generalisation in the other direction. Dont live there, havent met many personally, so dont really know - just my first impressions of them

Oops, there i was getting carried away taking part and for got all about the question of the thread

My opinion on this is that

Originally posted by: Freethinker

TV's have on/off switches and channel changing ability. As do radios. If you don't like what is on, don't watch it.

nice