Science Forums

How would we get water for large scale Hydrogen production, and would it impact the climate?

Jonas

/First off,  sorry if this is the wrong subject to post under./

Hi, I'm doing a project on Fuel Cells for school, and one of the main Green ways to produce Hydrogen was large scale Electrolysis.

But then I just wonder. Where would we get the water for that. If we drain lakes that would impact ecosystems both in the lake and all the way down the rivers that spring from it.

The only other way I see is taking the water from the ocean, but then wouldn't that impact the oceans ecosystems and large water stream that power the oceans?

Just now, Jonas said:

Hi, I'm doing a project on Fuel Cells for school, and one of the main Green ways to produce Hydrogen was large scale Electrolysis.

But then I just wonder. Where would we get the water for that. If we drain lakes that would impact ecosystems both in the lake and all the way down the rivers that spring from it.

The only other way I see is taking the water from the ocean, but then wouldn't that impact the oceans ecosystems and large water stream that power the oceans?

Hydrogen, once used, turns back into water so the net amount of water never changes. 

On 10/20/2023 at 10:23 PM, Jonas said:

This should answer all your questions. At least I found it very informative.