Science Forums

Mr

Kooteye

I’ve been observing a very interesting organism in recent months. It’s incredibly hard to get a good photograph of these things however because it’s either in a transparent state or has taken on the appearance of its surroundings using what appears to be very sophisticated bioluminescence. In this way it can stay almost completely undetectable. I feel that it could be evidence of a shadow biosphere. Does anyone have any insight as to what this could be? Please see the picture attached.IMG_9634.thumb.png.01c1a21430fcdc1ff4ed0553636fcba1.png

There are many organisms that use bioluminessence to change their appearance.

Among the most impressive are squid and jellyfish.

The picture you posted isn't clear enough for me to see anything, really.

Can you at least provide some context for your observations including where in the world you are seeing these creatures, at what depth of water, and as many other relevant factors you can provide?

On 10/13/2023 at 10:44 AM, Kooteye said:

I’ve been observing a very interesting organism in recent months. It’s incredibly hard to get a good photograph of these things however because it’s either in a transparent state or has taken on the appearance of its surroundings using what appears to be very sophisticated bioluminescence. In this way it can stay almost completely undetectable. I feel that it could be evidence of a shadow biosphere. Does anyone have any insight as to what this could be? Please see the picture attached.IMG_9634.thumb.png.01c1a21430fcdc1ff4ed0553636fcba1.png

A shadow biosphere? Why would bioluminescence be indicative of a shadow biosphere?  

On 10/14/2023 at 12:56 AM, OceanBreeze said:

There are many organisms that use bioluminessence to change their appearance.

Among the most impressive are squid and jellyfish.

The picture you posted isn't clear enough for me to see anything, really.

Can you at least provide some context for your observations including where in the world you are seeing these creatures, at what depth of water, and as many other relevant factors you can provide?

I agree that picture is pretty much worthless without more context at the very least. I did see, while pier fishing at night, a large fat torpedo shaped object swim by the end of the unlighted ocean fishing pier one night in August (I think) that glowed. It looked like a squid cruising by swimming tentacles first but it would have had to be 6 to 8 feet long. It was quite bright, the water off the end of the pier was probably 15 or 20 feet deep and it appeared to be maybe 5 feet below the surface. From what I am told by oceanographers I know, no such squid exists in our part of the Atlantic ocean, South Eastern North Carolina. Not sure what it was but it's glow did not make me think shadow biosphere.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2023 at 5:20 PM, Moontanman said:

A shadow biosphere? Why would bioluminescence be indicative of a shadow biosphere

I was being unclear sorry. I didn’t mean the bioluminescence itself pointed to a shadow biosphere rather that the organism seemed to be giving itself presence and without this and also a camouflage similar to a cuttlefish, without these devices it had virtually no discernible substance at all. Your squid could definitely have been something similar.

58 minutes ago, Kooteye said:

I was being unclear sorry. I didn’t mean the bioluminescence itself pointed to a shadow biosphere rather that the organism seemed to be giving itself presence and without this and also a camouflage similar to a cuttlefish, without these devices it had virtually no discernible substance at all. Your squid could definitely have been something similar.

I am curious, how would you define "shadow Biosphere"? I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.