Science Forums

Territoriality sometimes is good

InfiniteNow

Okay, so I completely went against my own grain last night and instead of spreading peace was very aggressively territorial.

One of my neighbors went zooming down the street in our community entirely too fast while I was walking my dog. He got out of his car while I was speaking with one of my other neighbors and I started saying things very loud (so he could hear me) like "He's lucky I don't bust his skull open with a crow bar driving like that! Maybe I'll be nice though and just bust his knee caps instead...")

Then, I see him looking over at us and I say, "You know I'm talking about you, right?" Then he starts walking toward us, so I walk even faster toward him until we're face to face, and I start ripping this guy a new one, staring him in the eye the entire time ready to fight. "What if a kid was out here? What if you hit someome? There's no need to drive like that in a neighborhood, yet I see you doing it all the time!!"

So, me and all my peaceful intentions got overrun by a rush of adrenaline and a desire to protect my community/family/dog/whatever. I'm really not sure I have a question here, but sometimes I guess territoriality is good.

So, me and all my peaceful intentions got overrun by a rush of adrenaline and a desire to protect my community/family/dog/whatever. I'm really not sure I have a question here, but sometimes I guess territoriality is good.

I think many Americans had similiar, and certainly even stronger feeling after 911. However unless you were in the military, confronting these idiots was not possible, much less getting your hands on them. Territory is as much a possession as your bank account and left up for grabs, it will disappear just as fast. What you have just experienced, everyone of us has dealt with at one time or another. Just call it righteous indignation........................Infy

• 2 weeks later...

ive had teritorial issues when i was little. I was standing in our groups, area of the play ground and another group of kids walks up to us and nicks our bench refusing to give it back.

It ended up in a fite and i smacked him one.

Is this instincts from our days as primates?

By the way I think its wrong to hit people now im very peacefull.

• 6 months later...