Science Forums

Human body and Periodic Table of Elements

jimmiejj

Hi,

Anyone know where I can find info on each of elements and how the human body makes use of it, if at all? Effects from the elements on the human body.

Thanks for any info.

I learned that there are 64 elements in the Human Body.

I was doing a paper on Uranium no less..

Thats a Nutrition Question that can be easily answered by finding a book on Vitamins & Minerals...

Calcium builds bones and allows for Muscle Contraction.

for starters...

Anyone know where I can find info on each of elements and how the human body makes use of it, if at all? Effects from the elements on the human body.
The chemical composition of the human body is well documented many places. A google search for “composition of human body” gives this table.

The precise role of each element in human metabolism is complicated, and not fully known. I think an introductory physiology textbook would be your best reference, but there are some online references, such as the wikipedia entries for physiology and metabolism.

Although there are a lot of elements involved in the body, the major ones are carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, calcium, phosphorous, and iron. Protein and fat is made of C H O and N only, while bone adds Ca and P. Hemoglobin, an important oxygen transport molecule, adds Fe, while ATP, important in metabolism, adds P.

There’s much more, but this about covers the basics.