1. 1. Numismatology?

• I never have
    • I have before, but not currently
    • I currently do
    • I may in the future
    • I refuse to answer

Numi---what???

I thought he was DeMaterializing. :)

___This is the only one I have left. It has a fascinating story, which I am not yet ready to tell. After all, an image is worth a thousand words.:D I hope to garner a few "I know what that is" (is'es?) before I launch my thousand words-worth.:)

:)

well I havent purposefully - just sometimes when saving money or you go on a bus use a note and get a handful of coins back :D

___Come to think of it, I've never seen a Aussie one.:) Do you know JayQ if it's a popular hobby down under?:)

___ The one I showed the obverse of came encased in plastic because it was uncirculated; I busted that off so I could touch, smell, scan, spin, & flip it. It was rare, until the US mint found millions of them in sacks in the back of a vault that survived the silver melts of the 1920's. They auctioned them to the public in the late '60's early '70's for minimum $30 bid; they all went for $30 & they still had many left. It is of course, a silver dollar. Much more to come. Jump in you numismatologists!:)

SaWeeeeT!

Post Civil War!! Immediate Post Civil War.. A New America!! :)

My Mom had a Ton of Old Silver and Half Silver Dollars! Really Old ones Too!

Before My Younger Brother Found them and Spent them at the Local 7-11!!

They called us and he was found out!

Too late though... :)

Still have a few left from around 1918...

___Ooooooo...I had to go look that one up! Liberty is beautiful wherever she is struck. (Where was this one struck by-the-by; do you know?) Is it stars on her head band, or does it say Liberty?

___I'm holding my reverse to build excitement.:)

These were struck in Philadelphia. Her head band says Liberty. You can learn more at Coinfacts.com.

These were struck in Philadelphia. Her head band says Liberty. You can learn more at Coinfacts.com.

___C1ay, you anticipate my questions so opportunely. I no longer have any hardcopy references & my search got me to an awktion sight sew my rekwest waz cumming write up.

___Off I go to scan the reverse of my dollar; any guesses of the mint entertained in the next few minutes. Rich in history...:lol:

___Come to think of it, I've never seen a Aussie one.:eek: Do you know JayQ if it's a popular hobby down under?:lol:

I really dont know.. my dad collected a few of the old currency - ie before we set up our own dollars and sense. I think that he thought they might be worth something someday.. Australia doesnt really have much of a history, its still farely young, so maybe one day in the future. Is that how it works, or can coins loose value?

I really dont know.. my dad collected a few of the old currency - ie before we set up our own dollars and sense. I think that he thought they might be worth something someday.. Australia doesnt really have much of a history, its still farely young, so maybe one day in the future. Is that how it works, or can coins loose value?

___Yes, coins may loose or gain value. The one dollar coin I reference in post #1 was pretty rare & so more valuable, before they found millions of them in uncirculated condition. Many factors affect the value of a coin such as quantity minted, location of the mint, condition of the coin, the age of a coin, the historical/cultural context of the coin, the method of striking ('proof coins' are double struck on special polished dies & sold to collectors), & the metal content of the coin just to name a few factors.

___Many collect the current issues of coins not so much for the value, but for the hobby; getting complete sets for every year, etc.. I no longer have a collection, but the history & trivia of coins I still enjoy.

This got me thinking a little bit...

A penny used to be worth something back in the old days.

Now you wouldn't even pick one up off the ground as you walked by.

(maybe you would, but thats another matter)

How Can the Government make a Penny for a Penny?

ie, Cost of Materials? Forging? and Distribution?

Do they lose money on making penny coins? even Nickles maybe?? :shrug:

Ok, heres a couple o' coins me has :Guns:

The Racoon Collection!

a 10 colones from Costa Rica (1992)

a 10 shilling piece from Austria, from my trip there. Thats all I had left. :eek2: Vienna is Expensive man! (1997)

a 1 bolivar from Venezuela!! that will buy you less than nothing! :shrug: (1989)

a 500 Forint piece?? how'd that get in there? Where is it spent?? :eek2:

a Canadian Nickle (1977)

And a couple others.....[suspense]

I see I had better run down to the bank and put these in a safety deposit box! there could be bandits...:eek2: