Science Forums

Google and the Government

Google seems to be working with the government.

You've gotta wonder though, "Why?"

Lately I downloaded google earth and noticed how powerful it was. I mean, if someone with enough smarts could use this as a weapon of destruction.

Interestingly though, it seems that google's crackteam of professionals is doing very well in their ability to create some of the most innovative and user friendly things. These things however seem to be very powerful and the government starts to despise google for doing things much faster than the government is completing them. This makes you wonder what is really happening in the tech world.

Lately, I've been ignoring the computer techno-babble cause it's all the same and blah blah, ooh look at t3h gphx kard. I'm noticing however that Google is busting out some really cool stuff. This comes to be a very interesting thing as I joked a few months ago about google becoming skynet.

Other than that, I think the government is noticing Google for its manpower and innovation. They don't like Google being independent and not working for the government. Slowly, it seems the government is getting google to side with them.

I love google, but recently i have been pissed off about their thing with the Chinese government, why the hell would you want to sensor searches? I think its all politics though, since they have become the big corporation, they have to follow laws in different countries, and i think that they were forced to do what they did... lol, chinese people will have learn what tor is to remain unsensored :lol:....

...but recently i have been pissed off about their thing with the Chinese government, why the hell would you want to sensor searches?

That's the thing - the censorship is based upon 'dirty word' algorithms, not actual content; therefore it is relatively easy to defeat. Google's logic on this appears to be:

1. Appease the government enough to allow the service
  2. Let the users around the censorship as easily as possible
  3. Provide general population with far more information than they had access to before, despite the concessions required to get it to them

For a company that tries to 'not be evil' it appears that they were faced with two choices that were both evil and attempted to choose the lesser.

Other than that, I think the government is noticing Google for its manpower and innovation. They don't like Google being independent and not working for the government.

Google publishes APIs so that anyone (including the government) can use their search capabilities in whatever way they choose. Not using those APIs to do something creative is a problem on the part of the government, not Google.

Slowly, it seems the government is getting google to side with them.

Nope.(pdf)