Science Forums

Cart before the horse ?

Ceedee

Wow! :hyper: I guess I must be a right dumb ***, eh Doc?

If you had any understanding of history at all, you would certainly comprehend the fact that almost all discoveries in the history of science (and that would be everything from geography to nuclear structure) were seen because the observer failed to accept the academic line as unbiased truth!
I do understand the history of science, I was reading about the most well known stories since I was about 7 or 8. Your statement could be partly true if taken in a rather tautological sense, but this matter has nothing to do with being a sucker for the official academic line.

Do you really think that the intelligentsia of Spanish maritime authority would have opposed financing an experimental trek to the west if they thought anything valuable would come of the trip? The distance to China was well known many years before Columbus and it was only Isabelle's ignorance which ended up financing the trip.
It was because they did not sufficiently trust it to be a feasible, better way to China. This isn't the same as thinking there was nothing valuable out there.

As I understand it, Columbus was eventually imprisoned because of the fraud he had exercised on the Spanish government.
I've heard that but I also remember the same article saying he died when people still thought he had been to India. Elsewhere I heard that there was a lot of trouble but the Spanish king reconfermed the nomination to Admiral, for having found an island with a rich gold mine on it.

at least try to think things out for yourself.
Since grade 6, most of my teachers have taught me the habit of it. It's what I did when I read your post. Calling people names won't prove that you're right and they are wrong, certainly not to intelligent educated and rational individuals who are in the habit of thinking for themselves. :steering:

Wow! :hyper: I guess I must be a right dumb ***, eh Doc?
I think you infer a lot from little.
Since grade 6, most of my teachers have taught me the habit of it. It's what I did when I read your post. Calling people names won't prove that you're right and they are wrong, certainly not to intelligent educated and rational individuals who are in the habit of thinking for themselves. :confused:
Well, I am sorry but I haven't gotten that impression from your posts. For the most part, you seem to be thoughtlessly defending the present beliefs of the academy; you certainly have given no evidence of having thought about where the errors in their thoughts might be. And I don't believe I call people names; I actually think the problem is that you are somewhat thin skinned with respect to the matter of respect.

Have fun -- Dick

• 2 weeks later...
You are absolutely correct; however, there is some evidence that it was known that people had been to the other side of the atlantic prior to Columbus. That could very well have influenced Columbus's estimates. Some of you might find it interesting to read 1421 a rather interesting book.

Have fun -- Dick

Any Norwegian can tell you that the Vikings were there long before Columbus. :hihi:

I think there is a bug in the software here as the system never picked up on the fact that I posted and specified Qfwfq as the last person to post. I presumed the error would be fixed but it doesn't seem to update itself.

Have fun -- Dick

What do you mean? How can you "specify Qfwfq as the last person to post"?

And I don't believe I call people names; I actually think the problem is that you are somewhat thin skinned with respect to the matter of respect.
You meant that I'm a native of Illinois then? Well, no, I'm not, actually I'v never set foot in that state.