Science Forums

Philidelphia Experiment

no.

Think about it, as if the U.S would cancell the experiments just because some of the crew died and others ended up metally ill or just plain ill... If they stumbled upon something as technologically advanced as that (whether physically impossible or not) why would you let small set backs in early experiments stop you from continuing...

I caught a show about it a few years ago. It never happened. No need to cover up. The timelines given for the test and the ship do not match where they were at the time. And the experiment that did happen was uneventful. Nothing but hyped up urban legend.

Agreed, and I take credit for some of the confusion, but the question was not intended to ask, "Did it happen and how?" but, "Is it possible if we wanted to try?"

:eek2:

Agreed, and I take credit for some of the confusion, but the question was not intended to ask, "Did it happen and how?" but, "Is it possible if we wanted to try?"

;)

You mean the urban legend experiment? I don't think it is possible. It think it violates to many laws to be possible. If I recall it includes time travel, teleportation, invisibility, and "meshing" of physical matter in space. Very bizarre.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

A few moments of enhanced thought on this matter went something like this:

The first bit that caught me was

Note: This account has been widely criticized, and nearly every assertion regarding the Philadelphia Experiment has been challenged as unfounded, highly speculative or as a hoax. There are different versions of the story, and the account below describes the most common features.

We must keep that in mind while reading that perspective.

The specific (scientific) information given is all in all, beyond my knowledge to really pick apart, but I understand it and it's exceptionally vague.

No doubt this country with it's foot in the media (Fox, Time Warner, etc) is today fully capable of covering something of this magnitude up... but in 1943? Perhaps. I, however, think that there would be far more legendary media from the era regarding the mishap.

I'm not even suspicious of the government's tech, but I simply accept that they're leaving us at least 60 years behind, as far as declassification's, etc. I do not have any backable evidence to support this, just hearsay.

I have no doubt that things of this magnitude are possible.

If it was genuine, I don't think we'd be talking about it.

I wouldn't make it though the night here if I was within a ballpark of any sensitive information.:confused:

They're more on top of it than this. That I'm sure of.

But I was entranced by the story.

Aye.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply igannilo. My personal take is that there probably were some pretty strange experiments being conducted, not necessarily on this magnitude though. The results of said experiments (if they occurred) could've been equally frightning. However, even if the stuff they say did not happen... I'd like to see what we can do now!

Cheers. :confused: