Science Forums

Question: Quantum theory

mocnarf

I am not a mathematician or physicist, but I find the theories of Quantum Physics and the "theory of Everything" to be most fascinating. I have had a thought about this subject and have always wanted to ask a question:

A string (as I understand it) is the smallest particle of energy and can be thought of as a vibration. What I would like to know is: What would happen to the math of string physics if the string could change it's resonance without any outside influence? (thus inessence think).

Let's suppose further that there is one primary law of the universe and that is Synergy Through Synergy two or more quantums can interact, even coalesce to become a new particle of greater energy than the sum of the energies of the strings that are being coalesced. Thus, through synergy strings can grow in power (and knowledge) and through this evolutionary process the universe started, with a big bang.

The current string theory (as I understand it) embraces the idea of 10 or 11 dimensions. The purpose of these added dimensions it seems (if I understand it correctly) is to cause strings to vibrate at different resonances. What if there is only three dimensions plus time. And strings could independently without outside interaction change its resonance.

So my question would be if mathematicians and physicists could plug the idea that the string can independently change is resonance, it's frequency of vibration, How would this effect the string theory mathematics?

Hello mocnarf,

It appears this is your first post, so, although I am not a moderator, I want to welcome you to the site. It's fun, and I hope you share in that experience too.

I, too, am not a mathemetician, nor a physcist. However, let me ask you, do you perhaps mean "String" where you use the word "Quantum?" I ask because you speak of the quantum vibrating.

According to wikipedia, Quantum generally implies an indivisible entity. It is not necessarily just energy (however, there is a certain truth to that, as I am of the frame of mind that everything is just energy... so maybe I'm picking nits here...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum

As for a quantum of something individually changing resonance, there are entirely too many possibilities that must be approached and understood before we can even begin to tackle that one.

Anyway, hope to see you around, and look forward to your contributions.

Cheers. :hihi:

Thanks for the welcome, InfiniteNow. I know I have much toi learn and this site seams to have some very interesting discussions. I hope I am able to bring some new ideas to the table.

I was thinking that quantums and strings were basically the same thing... Apparently not. Could some one explane the differences to me... Thanks

But what if it changed resonance for the purpose of growth in power this only being possible through synergistic interactions with other "strings" or quantum (or what ever).

Your question is a bit too broad... and not having interacted with you enough to know what you already are aware of, I don't quite know where to start.

Why don't you first try searching wikipedia for the terms "string" and "quantum." Read the articles, and maybe some of the articles to which they are linked. Find your footing. Then, when you are a bit more confused (:)) come back and ask a smaller question...

I've always found that when I answer one question, at least two more appear. But, I guess that's part of the fun.

Cheers. :hihi:

Quantum is an adjective that describes certain (well, all) subatomic particles. Strings are a theoretical "base stuff" everything is made of these vibrating strings.

If an object is "quantized" then it has discrete states - like charge, etc. The charge is either 1 or 0, and not 1.35535 or something.

So a "quantum" is not really a thing so much as it describes the nature of some really tiny thing.

TFS

Thanks.... FaithfulStone... But could you speculate what the effect the following would have on the string theory.

The current string theory (as I understand it) embraces the idea of 10 or 11 dimensions. The purpose of these added dimensions it seems (if I understand it correctly) is to cause strings to vibrate at different resonances. What if there is only three dimensions plus time. And strings could independently without outside interaction change it's resonance.

So my question would be if mathematicians and physicists could plug the idea that the string can independently change is resonance, it's frequency of vibration, How would this effect the string theory mathematics?

The question then might be... why would a string change its resonance? My answer would be because there is an advantage for it to be harmonic with other strings that are near by it. The advantage is that this synergy allows the string to coalesce with other strings into a more complex bit of matter, in a process akin to the evolutionary process of biology. So where am I going wrong?