Science Forums

Time (merged)

matrixscarface

What is time really? Think about it. Is time a measurement of moment A to moment B? is it an absence of a particular symmetry? Keeper of change? and are we really right on what the present time actually is? if there was a point where the universe began, then shouldn't that be the starting point of our calculation? What about if it all ends right now.. can you just keep going and going? Time could not end because there could always be another moment..

I challenge you for the exact and correct and unarguable definition of time...

What is time really? Think about it. Is time a measurement of moment A to moment B? is it an absence of a particular symmetry? Keeper of change? and are we really right on what the present time actually is? if there was a point where the universe began, then shouldn't that be the starting point of our calculation? What about if it all ends right now.. can you just keep going and going? Time could not end because there could always be another moment..

I challenge you for the exact and correct and unarguable definition of time...

Try going to the search feature and typing "time" in the forums. It's a pretty popular topic. You may find that the questions you ask have already received a response.

Cheers. :cup:

I came up with a logical idea of what time is, and when I say time I mean, the time that we measure with a watch.

Picture a large circle and in that circle is a grassy field that we are looking at from a birds eye view, strait from the top at earth. There are people down there building houses and having parties and moving around, just living. We pretend it never gets dark. Well once and awhile people die, and once and awhile a person appears like a rain drop from our point of view that falls to the earth and a baby is born. People keep building and living and dieing .... before you know it they've figured out how to build cars and cities. This helps you visualize time in a non-linear manner, like it really is. There is only constant state of change that can be measured with designated frequencies to count how many changes happen in reference to the designated frequency... But today doesnt go anywhere, and tomorrow doesnt come from anywhere, and yesterday isnt real, there is just a now which can be measured cause it changes.

A more artistic representation of this is this.

From a humble point of view, we see earth is like a lake. High in the sky from a birds eye view we see souls drop into earth as a rain drop and the moment they hit the water they leave and impression, a ripple and send waves outward and onward that interact with waves created by other drops but only last awhile. However, as long as the water is there the drops will always be falling creating unique ripples that grow to their limit.

ps,

Without frequencies and cycles time is an irrelavent thing to consider. Since the universe is a mass carade of frequencies it seems to be we measure time as pattern of frequency. ie, if we measured time with a light wave for example. We might say, one second is every 60 spikes or crests the light wave does, when we consider the frequency is consistant.

As for time in relation to our consciousness, it would make sense that the greater distance of communcation between cells in your brain that you can achieve would create the experience of time being slower than when you are using parts of your brain much closer together. I do not mean literally distance but whichever effect it is that causes more and less time between communtiction of cells, may be the result of someone experiencing an hour taking forever while staring at a boiling pot, or an hour seeming very short while laughing it up with a friend.

We say, life seems short, but when we sleep it is neither short or long, I dont think anyone can measure time in their deep sleep. But when awake we can do things to create time variations and I suppose you could make life seem forever if you did things that always seem to take forever.. something of this manner.

philosophy of science, isn't that an oxymoron since philososphy and science are two complete different things.
This isn’t the usual view of the terms. Prior to the popular use of the term “science”, folk we now call scientists were called “natural philosophers.” These days, thousands of amateurs and professionals write “Philosophy of Science” that looks at the psychological and sociological causes and effects of the modern practice of science, as well as its implied and stated ideal. Thomas Kuhn’s 1962 ”The Structure of Scientific Revolutions” may be the most famous and influential example of this kind of writing.
time is man made, does it really exist?
(I think we’ve thrashed this question nearly to death in such threads as 3650 but it can’t hurt to thrash it a bit more)

I don’t agree that “time is man-made.” Were this truly the case, all scientific formalism describing events more than about 100,000 years in the past – nearly all Cosmology, Astronomy, and theories of the formation of the Sun and the solar system, etc. – would be invalid. There’s no (or only a little, every weird) scientific theory or evidence that the laws of Physics changed when man appeared.

true, yet isn't time created for organization.

I just think its ironic, on the philossphy vs. science thing, because they are two different things, i didn't understand this until recently. Reasons being:

Science accumlates and discards.

Philosphy questions are eternal, ones risen today were asked thousands of years ago

A quote from Socrates, "Virtue can't be taught"

i.e. you cannot read how to be patient, wise, but you can learn biology

Philosophy has no progress, does not require belief just an understanding

Science however has progress.

true, yet isn't time created for organization.

Not true.

I just think its ironic, on the philossphy vs. science thing, because they are two different things, i didn't understand this until recently. Reasons being:

Philosphy questions are eternal, ones risen today were asked thousands of years ago

Not true. If humanity wipes itself out tomorrow, how eternal is your philosophy then?

A quote from Socrates, "Virtue can't be taught"

i.e. you cannot read how to be patient, wise, but you can learn biology

Not true. You can most certainly learn to be patient and wise. I play poker for a living, and believe me, I could not have done so before first getting a grasp on both of these concepts. Reading, by the way, played a large part in that as well. I've taken college level biology courses and do have my B.A., and learning the additional patience and wisdom that I have in recent years is just as challenging.

Philosophy has no progress, does not require belief just an understanding

Science however has progress.

I disagree again. Philosophy is at the root of many questions pertaining to morals and society, which have allowed those societies willing to learn from such teachings to (arguably) evolve into more peaceful societies.

This brings to mind a semi-famous Science joke about, which occurs in many forms, the shortest, I think, this one, from http://www.workjoke.com/projoke70.htm:
Dean, to the physics department. "Why do I always have to give you guys so much money, for laboratories and expensive equipment and stuff. Why couldn't you be like the math department - all they need is money for pencils, paper and waste-paper baskets. Or even better, like the philosophy department. All they need are pencils and paper."