Science Forums

Scientific Linux

I downloaded and burnt this new os to cd's,then installed it and i like it.

Its found all of device drivers except my canon printer. i've been to canon but they didnt have the correct ones.is there a website where i can find the drivers that will work?

also, since firefox comes with it, i downloaded the thunderbird email program but i can't get it to work. what step are needed to do that?

I'm trying Evolution,which is the email program that comes with this os. i have the settings set at mail.comcast.net for outgoing and smtp.comcast.net for incoming and both of them set to server type POP. when i click on the Send/Receive icon it shows the smtp.mail.comcast bar as email fully sent (even though i havent sent anything). the incoming bar takes quite awile and says Waiting and Fetching Mail,then it shows a download but no new mail appears.

For monitor settings, Linux runs it runs at 800x600 but when i changed it to 1024x768 the monitor went blank and i couldn't change it back if i couldn't see anything, so i reinstalled the os to get it back to 800x600.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks,Jim

i reinstalled the os to get it back to 800x600.

lol, that was a good laugh...

now, i will speak seriously and just say this:

Dammit, The First Thing Any Windows Person Needs To Learn With LINUX Is The Fact That You Almost Never Truly NEED To Reinstall The OS, Unless You Have Completely Wiped Your Drive, It Is FIXABLE!

People do the research... simply using ctrl+alt+backspace will get out out of the screen session, if you are running kdm or something and that sends you back through X, you could also use CTRL+ALT + F1 or F2.... keys to get back to the command line and kill both X and KDM, furthermore the configuration for X is located in /etc, file is called xorg.conf (most dirtos have it there, if not, it is somewhere else, in which case, update the locate library and locate it) Dont be afraid of Xorg, it doesnt bite, all that probably was was a sync rate or bit rate overload for the monitor, remember, where windows protects you from using your computer, linux allows you to freely screw it up, so backup your config files before changing them before you know exactly what you are dealing with...

And you should really consider switching to a more user friendly distro, take ubuntu or kubuntu for example... well what do i have to tell you, ask T what he thinks of it...