Science Forums

The Sun and the solar system

kingwinner

1) Will the amount of hydrogen and helium in the sun increase or decrease over the next few million years?

The answer in my book says they will decrease.......but that doesn't make sense to me! The most common type of nuclear fusion in the Sun is hydrogen fusion, so amount of hydrogen will certainly decrease, but shouldn't the amount of helium be INCREASING instead of decreasing? Or will the helium in fact also decrease in amount?

2) Why and how do volcanic eruptions aid in the creation of an atmosphere?

• 1 month later...

1) No one can prove such statement. It is YOUR own answer!

2) Volcanic eruptions acts on the atmosphere because:

The lava from a volcano kills the oxygen and even though there is still 21% the molecules are less. And that's why people die - because they can't breathe. Not because it's so hot. Well, maybe partly because of the temperature!

I'm sorry if I have grammar and/or spelling mistakes but I have only been in U.S for 9 months and I am still learning how to read, write and speak correctly. But I am good at scince! Please feel free to ask any questions you have - I will be glad to help!

2) Volcanic eruptions acts on the atmosphere because:

The lava from a volcano kills the oxygen and even though there is still 21% the molecules are less. And that's why people die - because they can't breathe. Not because it's so hot. Well, maybe partly because of the temperature!

I'm sorry if I have grammar and/or spelling mistakes but I have only been in U.S for 9 months and I am still learning how to read, write and speak correctly. But I am good at scince! Please feel free to ask any questions you have - I will be glad to help!

Welcome to Hypography indiana, and Welcome to America! I am in Ohio so we are practically neighbors.

I have a question for you. How does lava kill oxygen? And if the ratio of oxygen to the whole atmosphere doesn't change, how can there be less oxygen without there being less atmosphere?

Bill

Thank you!

I am not really sure how to explain this! I'll try!

Oxygen is actually fire! Notice of you lit a candle ( there is still fire ) but then you cover it with something - you decrease the oxygen till zero! There is no fire anymore. But there is no fire because the oxygen is gone! I don't know if I explained it well anough. Ask me again, if you need!

If you go to the troposphere - even though you know it's thousands of thousands of degrees hot you would freeze. And that's because even though the oxygen is still 21% the molecules in the troposphere are much fewer than in the thermosphere. I hope I helped!

Oxygen is actually fire! Notice of you lit a candle ( there is still fire ) but then you cover it with something - you decrease the oxygen till zero! There is no fire anymore. But there is no fire because the oxygen is gone! I don't know if I explained it well anough. Ask me again, if you need!

If you go to the troposphere - even though you know it's thousands of thousands of degrees hot you would freeze. And that's because even though the oxygen is still 21% the molecules in the troposphere are much fewer than in the thermosphere. I hope I helped!

What are we both doing up at this hour?

Combustion is fire. Oxygen is a component of combustion. Heat, oxygen and fuel (not oxygen) are required for fire. Take away any of the three and the fire stops. In your example you take away the source of oxygen so the candle is snuffed. Lava is heat, but not fuel. When something flamable get in the proximity of lava it tends to burst into flame due to the high heat and avalable oxygen. But the lava itself consumes no oxygen. What are some other possibilities for how volcanic eruptions aid in the creation of the atmosphere?

Bill

Not so. The hydrogen/helium ratio is easily proven by spectometer analysis.

And I'm surprised by Kingwinner's textbook. The amount of helium should increase. When there is no more hydrogen to burn, the star will start to burn the helium instead.

Here's a brief text about the life of a star:

http://www.astro.keele.ac.uk/workx/starlife/StarpageS_26M.html

Here is a more in-depth article:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/star.htm

What are some other possibilities for how volcanic eruptions aid in the creation of the atmosphere?

Bill

Don't volcanic eruptions also release sulfur-dioxide and carbon-dioxide, as well as a boat load of water vapor?

I believe these gases can be metabolized by life forms that will release oxygen as a by product.

What are we both doing up at this hour?

Combustion is fire. Oxygen is a component of combustion. Heat, oxygen and fuel (not oxygen) are required for fire. Take away any of the three and the fire stops. In your example you take away the source of oxygen so the candle is snuffed. Lava is heat, but not fuel. When something flamable get in the proximity of lava it tends to burst into flame due to the high heat and avalable oxygen. But the lava itself consumes no oxygen. What are some other possibilities for how volcanic eruptions aid in the creation of the atmosphere?

The next time I tell you ''I'm good at science'' don't listen to me. Maybe it's because of the language - I don't understand the things you said. I was once good but now I forgot. I want to be able to understand again! Could you please help me. For now by telling me what means the words : sinks and floats !

Thank you!

The next time I tell you ''I'm good at science'' don't listen to me. Maybe it's because of the language - I don't understand the things you said. I was once good but now I forgot. I want to be able to understand again! Could you please help me. For now by telling me what means the words : sinks and floats !

Thank you!

Don't sweat it indiana. We are all here to learn.

When a boat gets a hole it sinks. When it has no hole it floats. Sinks can mean to lower. Floats means that soemthing doesn't lower. It would help if I knew your native language. I could look up a translation.

Bill