Science Forums

DVR with external drive options

There was another thread on Hypography that touched on a similar topic to this (HD TV gets HD HDD DVR), but my question is a bit different...

So, I was cueing up my DVR after work last night to watch some previous episodes of 24 when I had a thought...

Any chance of having an external device (perhaps even a memory card of sorts) on which one could store data from DVRed programs without the requirement of deleing once space is used (i.e... get a new device. keep all data from previous)?

I love having the option to DVR shows, but hate deleting them. Transferring to VHS is just not an option. Possible yes, but reasonable, no.

I would also want to add labels and catalogue shows attaching certain key words on which I could search to find all programs I have which might reference various topics (let's say... cooking salmon, or some random nonsense) then have that serve as my "recorded list" and play only shows matching this subset from the search criteria.

<sorry..long and poorly worded sentence>

I would ultimately want to route all of these hard drives (or memory cards or whatever) through a central hub... then further search for and launch programming at the touch of a button regardless of where it is stored.

Is this being developed somewhere? Is it possible given current context and limitations? I am on the right track, but there's a better way to do it?

Man... that's sweet. One could do some serious archiving if you have a room full of those.

Don't the cable/satellite companies have some sort of encryption with their programming? I mean, storing it is all well and good, but it won't make much difference if you can't play it back.

<sorry, tech is not really my forte. I appreciate any insight shared>