Science Forums

Surprising or not?

sanctus

Do not read this thread if you havent seen the movie flightplan!!!!!!!

In the movie there is this arabian guy subject to racism. At the end where it turns out not to be him he gives the luggage to jodie forster (if i remember right it was her), she just takes it without a word (neither in body language). What I directly thought was:"couldn't she say at least thanks?".

Even if I try to not have the quite common anti-US-politics feeling which there is in Europe I can't deny I was thinking that this is quite sad and typical. Hasn't the US yet overcome the general anti-arabic feeling (with general I mean a feeling who doesn't make a difference between every single person)? The thanking would just have meant that as the arabic guy was not the bad then he is no different from ohers and could be accepted with no prejudices.

What do you think?

I had exactly the same thoughts when I saw the movie, and I was really disappointed by the reaction of Jodie Foster's character. It made one feel that the Arab was still being despised, even though he had done nothing wrong. Generalisations about a race of people is precisely what eventually leads to terrible things like war and genocide.