Science Forums

Island in the sun

inside the sun

So the best thing i figure would be to have my own island. No speed limit, cuz i won't need the money from speeding tickets. No laws against morality, at least concerning sex, and drugs, and curfew. I mean if you want to take those risks, take them, as long as your not harming anyone else. Yes once again, i don't need the money for putting people in prison or fining people for those laws, so i can afford to have them legal. Noise, is key. On my island, i want to be able to be as loud as i want, for as long as i want. Maybe we will have a designated noise area on the island, like the south or north, or east or west section of it so people can get peace and quiet when they need it, but when you want the noise Enjoy. Of course there will be laws against rape..i cant stand it, and molestation, and murder. I'll probably have some chill cops like the ones that come to hypography because they aren't mindless drones, and they will be the ones to help inforce things when needed. So my question, what is the cost of an island, and if you get your own island, can you have your own laws and what not?

I'll probably have some chill cops like the ones that come to hypography because they aren't mindless drones,

much like our new junior moderator, niviene :xparty:

and mr. sun

there are two ways to go about "getting an island"

purchasing one for millions of dollars in charted territory.

claiming on for your own in uncharted territory.

now, if you came along with me

we would battle pirates with ak47s, and rocketlaunchers.

we might face US naval ships, but all we need to do is fire warning shots, fly a flag, and it will be all good.

now that the island is temporarily secure, go ahead and do whatever you want.

if youre the leader, make sure everybody knows it

and yeah you can make laws

all laws are made up!

and invisible,

unless its posted on a sign

signs are so ugly.

vibes are better, IMO+

In the 80's there was a guy who staked claim to an offshore drilling rig that had been abandoned and got it declared a soverign nation. I think he had a protection treaty with England. I remember seeing a segment about it on either "Real People" or "That's Increadible". Last I heard he was using it for unrestricted webhosting. I tried to find it on Google but couldn't.

Anyway, that is another option.

Bill

Seems to me that ITS could have all the virtues of his desired island with fewer of the disadvantages by purchasing a large chunk of limited access (no state roads) land somewhere in spacious, temperate North America. Several years ago, I considered a nice 500 acres in Ohio near the Ohio river with a price of US$150,000, that already had 10+ bedrooms in 3 separate houses, a serviceable commercial pottery factory, and a power line connecting to the public electric system. It was surrounded by another several thousand acres of undeveloped land visited only by coal miners commuting to work.

Let’s look at a few of inside the sun and others points, Little Piece of Ohio vs. Island:

• No speed limit.
    LPoO: You can go as fast as you want on any private road you care to build there – speed limits apply only to public roads and venues
    Island: Same, but building the road and getting cars, bikes, fuel, etc. there costs more
  • No laws concerning drugs, sex, rock-n-roll, etc.
    LPoO: In my experience, so long as you aren’t focused on exporting any of your drugs, having sex with anyone under 18, or who’s family objects, training mercenaries/potential terrorists, or otherwise offending mainstream society, you won’t have much in the way of legal entanglement.
    Island: Same (although I’ve no personal experience with an island).
  • As loud as you like
    LPoO: I couldn’t hear more than a faint indication of the mountain-face blasting the coal company was doing next door. Hills and timbre strongly absorb sound. Any sound you could produce that would alarm you neighbors would make your ears bleed first.
    Island: Here the island is a clear winner. On the average small Pacific island, you could blow off a hilltop and nobody else on earth would even hear the sound.
  • Laws against rape, etc.
    LPoO: If you do anything that really offends anyone way out in the hills, they or someone they know will likely go and fetch the state cops, so you don’t really need to concern yourself with codifying against such crimes.
    Island: It’s harder to get the cops to come to an island, so the practical enforcement of the laws you think should be enforced may fall to you. I don’t think too many people would want or enjoy the job.
  • Chill cops
    LPoO: At Rainbow gatherings they’re called the shanti sena, (“peace army”, in English). At clubs they’re called bouncers. Practically any large, middle-aged person with a good, well-developed character and a good sense of teamwork can do the job.
    Island: Same - although fighting pirates (see previous posts) is, I think, more than most shanti sena could handle. Pirate-fighters, I suspect, make poor chill cops.

Where a LPoO crosses the line between a private retreat and a small, effectively autonomous nation, is hard to say – The actual LPoO I looked at would clearly be the latter, while a place like New Vindaban, while about the same size, seems to me to be its own nation (with plans to build a massive concrete perimeter wall in the event of the “trouble times” prophesizes showed signs of starting). (NV is primarily a Hare Krishna community, but, in keeping with a principle of “interfaith”, has a smattering of odd, non-Hindu folk, including even (when last I visited) a few Catholic monks)

The most important thing I’ve observed about “micro-nation building” is that, to have any chance of success, you have to have a compelling and unified sense of purpose. The Krishna’s seem to have this, so are able to succeed at this sort of thing. The Rainbow family, having a much looser and more diverse (and, it pains me to say, less compelling, for the average individual) sense of purpose, aren’t able to, so exists as a sort of temporary society of a few tens of thousands who gather a few times a year for a few days to a few weeks, then fade back into the mainstream.