Science Forums

Dimension shrink

mctai

From what I understood you claim that the time dilation formula must be changed from t'=t/gamma to t'=t*gamma when we consider the moving frame ro be stationary.

No you misunderstand me, I claim that the formula should be t'=t/gamma in my last post. It is you who wrote the formula with the * as I quoted in post 11.

Anyway, the important thing is that we agree now.

No you misunderstand me, I claim that the formula should be t'=t/gamma in my last post. It is you who wrote the formula with the * as I quoted in post 11.

Anyway, the important thing is that we agree now.

I wrote t'=t*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) and that is equivalent to t'=t/gamma because remember that gamma=1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

There is so much flaw in time dialation.

How do you know you are going the right direction if you blast off away from earth at .95C and come back.

Earth is not at rest.

You cant calculate it unless you consider space at rest and earth generally at rest in it.

For all you know you could be "slowing down" when you blast away from earth.

Well if you believe there are no flaws in Electromagnetic field theory and that all inertial frames are equal then there is no way you can find flaws in time dilation.

How do you know you are going the right direction if you blast off away from earth at .95C and come back.

You dont, time dilation is only relative, just like velocity, you are at rest according to your self but you are moving according to someone driving a car. So time is flowing at a normal rate according t yourself but slower according to someone moving in a car.

Earth is not at rest.

It is form our perspective.

You cant calculate it unless you consider space at rest and earth generally at rest in it.

Space is at rest according to all inertial frames, this was known since the time of Galileo.

For all you know you could be "slowing down" when you blast away from earth.

Again 'Slowing down' is a relative concept. If you are on a very fast moving train (and you dont know its moving) then when the train comes to a halt from the perspective of the station, the you dont knwo whether its accelerating or decalerating.