Science Forums

Beer

Racoon

" Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy " :eek:

wrote Ben Franklin.

Thus the inspiration for this thread.

Portland, Oregon is Microbrew Capital.

We are lucky to have such a wide variety of microbrews here, that began with Widmere. I usually don't buy micros because of my student budget, but occasionally do.

We are curious to know what You drink? and enjoy? :eek2:

Being a hearty percent Irish, its in my genes! :)

I am also thinking of Quaffing, and am wondering if you have any experience/tips??

What types of beer are in your neck of the woods? What beer is popular in your circle of friends? What makes a good buzz?

Please list your comments.

Here is my breakdown:

Good beer for good price: Henry Weinhards Private Reserve(cheaper here in Northwest I think) about $5 for 6 pack.

Best microbrew: Dead Guy Ale by Rogue River Brewery. About $9.50 a 6 pk!

Turtle and I have drunk this together! The Buzz is excellent!

My Favorite International Beer: Steinlager from New Zealand

My favorite German/Austrian beer: Ottokringer (drunk copiously in Vienna with my friend. ) Grolsh is also good beer! (Danish I think)

Favorite Mexican Beer: I prefer Pacifico as opposed to Corona.

During my studies in Venezuela: Polar. it wasn't even an option!!!

Honestly, I have to put in a good word for Guiness. I also have to give a shout out to Killian's Irish Red. Guess those are my Irish roots.

As far as mainstream beers go, I have to say MGD is much better than Bud.

As far as best cheap beer (to get drunk on while playing drinking games in college) Key Light. Yah it's a bit like water as far as flavor goes, but hey drink about 4 beers in 5 minutes and everything will begin to taste like water.

Has anyone taken chemistry, and heard the phrase...

Have No Fear Of Ice Cold Beer!?

It's an acronym for Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Flouride.., etc.. :cup:

Fear No Beer! :shrug:

Guiness is good beer! I avoid it because of its caloric value.

which I heard is 1,000 or so per pint!

Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Agree with Ques, Budweiser is fake.

Anything Keystone is also wrong! :cup:

Thats Ok because Beer is High in Vitamin P! hee, hee.

Best Malt liqour: Mickeys Hornet's... duh.

___No Beer in the budget this month. I have taken to St. Pauli Girl Bavarian in 22/24 oz bottles in the past Fall however. Other favoites of mine from Rougue Brewery in Newport Oregon; Yellow Snow Ale, & they did a Santa's Special this year too. Arrogant Bastard from California has a great (albeit expensive) collection of to-die-for brews. I went out to eat last month & drank a large Killian's Red; very good. This week a Portland Micro in a pottle bottle. The name escapes me, but they make a great hamburger as well as

beer.:shrug: :cup: :cup: :eek: :cup:

• 1 month later...

Today is Superbowl!!! :singer:

Copious amounts of Beer shall be Drunk! Go Seahawks! ( as you should know that I am a Native Seahawk fan since 1986! True old school :cup: )

I found the Beer Turtle mentioned, " Arrogant Bastard ".

At 7.1% it packes a punch. It is a well crafted beer! But at $3.50 a 24 oz. bottle, it can really add up. And thats only when you can find it.....

It is now my new favorite, surplanting 'Dead Guy Ale'.

Today is Superbowl!!! :cup:

Copious amounts of Beer shall be Drunk! Go Seahawks! ( as you should know that I am a Native Seahawk fan since 1986! True old school :) )

I found the Beer Turtle mentioned, " Arrogant Bastard ".

At 7.1% it packes a punch. It is a well crafted beer! But at $3.50 a 24 oz. bottle, it can really add up. And thats only when you can find it.....

It is now my new favorite, surplanting 'Dead Guy Ale'.

Woot woot!:singer: :) :D I drank two FatTire Ales (out of Colorado) last week; it was the only beer in over a month I drank. Broke as a joke!

___A little market near my house has Arrogant Bastard but it's over $4 a bottle! Good stuff indeed.:D :( :)

___Bumab?! You out there? (Bumab is our resident brewer) How's our secret brew doing Bumab?:(

PS Go SeaHawks!

So good down under beer would be crown lager - but if that is to much for the budget then Carlton Draft is also a favourite. :singer:

When I go down to the local bottle-o I can buy a wide range of imported beer (carona, amstel, stella artois, guiness etc.) and I found myself wondering, Is there many countries that import Australian beer? If so which ones.

Fosters has a large marketing campaign over here Jayqu, mate...

" Fosters... Its Australian for beer!" :singer:

I like Steinlager from New Zealand. Does that count as Australian?

I'll have to look around for Carlton.

We got lots of Good Microbrews here around the Portland area. Most are over priced and packaged with quirky names.

Jay-qu. You're having a laugh, aren't you?

In the Mother Country, not only do we import your beer, we import your bloody bars. My son is employed as a "Door Supervisor", (bouncer) at a bar called "Walkabout". Ausie beer and Ausie bar staff, and hundreds of drunken Poms who don't give a **** where the beer is from just as long as it gets them drunk. And yes, most of the beer is Fosters.:cup:

What is a Popular beer for most Texans??

Well, I'm of the frame of mind that most will drink what they please, but...

Some people go all proud and drink "Lone Star" because we're the Lone Star State (that, and it's cheap!)

All too many drink "Bud Light," but that might be more the result of me being in a college town, not a TX thing.

Lots of Corona and Tecate (although, I really prefer Pacifico or Negro Modelo).

Live Oak is a good local.

There's a place downtown called the Gingerman, and is an old Belgian-style pub. They have 90 different beers from across the world... ON TAP!

And, yes, Austin is an oasis in this strange state we call Tejas. It has mountains, lakes, the colorado river, it's the capital, has multiple universities, including current NCAA football champs UT (hook 'em!)... and downtown has a live music scene like no other.