Science Forums

Earth A.D

inside the sun

I believe the idea would be to find another planet as good as this one (how long would it take to determine if that planet is as good as this one?) and then to make so many laws and rules on how to live there that we couldn't ruin it.

(Not possible for man to do in my opinion. As long as there are laws, there will be those who bend and break them.)

i think it's because were all so fascinated by the mega advanced technology in movies and tv. we overestimate ourselves, and our technology and i think it's going to be the end of us. and even if we were able to create some sort of way out, we could never EVER pull 6,000,000,000+ people off of a dieing planet. :eek2: were doomed!

we are a society based around destruction and manipulation.

with the trashing we've already begun, and the enormous amounts of peop;e who just don't give a rat's ***, we are definitely doomed.

plus, the regulation of natural consciousness expansion, even if that miraculous discovery was made, and we somehow got the majority of humans transported, we would just screw up the next planet.

it would be like saying, "if i had a hundred dollars i could eat lunch every day for several days"

but then you get a hundred bucks and its gone in a day and you come home with lava lamps and books and candy bars and a thousand bouncey balls.

we would go nuts and **** up again for sure, thinking we could never do exactly what we are doing.

… after we destroy and use this one's resources?
I think it’s the height of human arrogance to suppose we can have a significant, lasting impact on the planet. Compared to large volcanoes, global fires, ice ages, and asteroid collisions, we humans are humblingly insignificant.

We humans have a proven talent for making the earth a difficult place to survive for any organism large enough for us to see and slow-reproducing enough to eradicate, however, including, possibly, ourselves, either through outright killing, or habitat damaging. Even if we don’t completely kill off other animals or ourselves, we can make our lives miserable, a thing we should clearly strive to avoid. Pleasant animals don’t foul their living spaces.

Speaking of asteroid impacts… they’re a good, if remote reason we might want for some of us to live somewhere other than mother Earth. “Not putting all of you eggs in one basket” is a sound bit of folk advice.

Although I'm sure much of you would deny the influence of propaganda on your lives, it is a sad, but simple truth. So often we are confronted with the articles bearing the dire state that Earth is in. From the meek seventeen years of my life, I have encountered but one article pertaining to the relatively good shape of the Earth's resources, which has some veritable truth to it. Most often, people observe articles regarding oil spills, endangered forests, or some habitat utterly annhilated. It isn't everyday an article reads, "EARTH DOING INSANELY AWESOME: RESOURCES IN AMAZING SHAPE!" Until that day comes, we are faced with endless smorgasbord of how terrible it must be to live on this rocky ball.

Now, regarding Earth's resources. Let us make some simple observations of our surroundings. Now I question this coming from a coveted, and somewhat sheltered, existence in America. Really, how bad are the everyday resources? When is the last time anyone saw a truly polluted lake? An extremely trashed forest? A thick blanket of smog covering hundreds of miles? Granted these things do exist, but not in the abundance they are thoguht to exist in. True, they do occur, but with less frequency. Somehow, disagreeing with most propaganda, we have managed to survive at least 250 years in this industrial age of pollution (although not without many programs designed to help it). And as technology increases, Earth finds more ways to pollute and more ways to clean. To move toward a true "pollution-devestation" of the world, it would require in a break in a balance.

And as for people's contributions, most of us are those who care about these issues, that is, have a conscience regarding them. The general population goes about life with trivial matters (not that they're asinine, but less on a...oh, universal importance scale; and it's not say we don't experience these matters either) in hand, and don't think so much about polluting. People aren't ravishing beasts that consume everything in sight and leave some kind of omnipresent waste; they're just simple people, with little or no thought to these matters.

And, at least, in conclusion we must draw that although the Earth isn't in such bad shape, it doesn't mean it won't stay that way. GrEeNpEaCe 4 LYFE yo!

When is the last time anyone saw a truly polluted lake? An extremely trashed forest? A thick blanket of smog covering hundreds of miles?

also, i would just like to point out that the last time i saw a trashed forest was when uvas burnt to the ground,

and the last time i saw a thick blanket of smog was in san fransisco, overlooking the city.

LA is even worse and it makes me sick to my stomach.

but i can't help agreeing with you anyway. For the massive amount of negative impact we've had on this planet, a tremendous portion remains unscathed

Well, the article happened to be in Reader's Digest. And if you happen to be a frequent reader and have old issues laying around, I would suggest going through the ones from last Summer (or this spring...ahhh..one of those.) My attempts to google it have all but failed. Although I'm sure there's other articles regarding it; I just don't look for them feverently.

don't be blind to the **** that goes on in the world. even if it is small, it's bigger than you think. and it isnt the world=**** now, it is that the way things are going we are going to end up in **** and we have this ONE planet, its beautiful, so keep it beautiful is all we are saying. This isn't some green party hippy ****, its just a simple observation. Earth is beautiful, we don't need a new planet. the end. nothing more, was it a question, maybe annitionally, but now it is a statement because i have all the insurance i need. the end.:cup: :eek: :shrug:

Hm...unfortunately I think .0001% of all people understand that there's only going to be one Earth. Even if we manage to get to Flaggulliskiso in the XFIO-956 galaxy, it's definitely not Earth.

It's not necessarily being blind about these things and I wasn't definitely not making them seem "small" (becuase they are a large problem), but one should not live in a constant state of thinking that the Earth is going to implode because of its misuse of humanity. Earth is fine shape, and if we maintain it, it will remain that way.