Science Forums

Don't be Moron about Boron!

Racoon

Boron is the Fifth element!

Boron is a simple element. Boron compounds have been known for thousands of years! and are found in a variety of minerals related to "borax".

First known from the desets of western Tibet, where Chinese fromAD 300 were already using Borax glazes in pottery. ( See my Asian Philosophy thread!)

The element Boron wasn't discovered until the scientific team of Englishman Humphrey Davy and Frenchman J.L Gay-Lussac with Louis Thernard in 1808!!:cup:

Boron, and compounds, are used in a wide variety of things: From your home all the way to the indusrial plant! :D ( I'll elaborate later! )

Borax minerals combine with other substances to for "borates". (again, more later)

Boron has 3 electrons to work with. ( ok Turtle?)

It is not eager to donate or accept electrons! :D

Therfore, most of Boron's bonds are COVALENT! like Carbon, it can form Stable covalent bonds!

Heres an interesting fact! Boron Nitride is one of the Hardest substances Known!! :D It has to be Tough because we use it to make abrasives and cutting tools!

I will talk about Boron and its poential "Superconductivity!!" later... :D :)

So for now,...

Boron

Atomic Number 5

Atomic weight u 10.81

Bonding radius A 0.82

Atomic radius A1.17

Ionizing potential V 8.298

Electronegativity 2.04

Density g/mL 2.34

Lets talk some more about Boron! :)

Hows this for Insane? The Isotope Boron-10 is used as a Control for Nuclear reactors for 'shielding' nuclear Radiation! :cup:

Also, After World War II, the US military was interested in Making advanced Jet fuel to replace the Old Hydrocarbon based stuff! It launched project ZIP! :D The Gov't rolled the Dollars in for research on Boron and ' Boranes '. After a decade of money, research, and brainpower, Boron wasn't what they were looking for; But they learned a whole bunch!!! :D

Stay tuned!

OK, I "teased" you guys with Boron and 'Superconductivity'!!! :)

Inquiring Hypographites wanna' know!

Here you are:

Newer research by Carnegie Institute's team says Boron becomes a Superconductor when it's "squeezed".

Boron loses it resistance to electrical current below 6 Kelvin and at a pressure of 160 gigapascals!! :) ( below 6 Kelvin I guess is REALLY Freakin' cold! Brrrrrrrrr.....)

Boron at 250 gigapascals exhibited superconductivity up to 11 Kelvin! :eek2:

( It was the first time Superconductivity had been measured under such high pressure )

The Underlying reason for Boron's Superconductivity is its "Special" crystal structure.

Boron Crystals are Rhombohedral! :D

I'm not a "hard Science guy", but can't help to find some of this stuff Fascinating! :eek: I'll have a couple more posts on Boron later.

Whadda' you think??

To try and answer your Question P-man; I don't think so.

Boron is very stable under 'normal' conditions.

Boron is chemically resilient and durable; Boric acid is used in making glass like "pyrex" that resists heat.

However, Amazingly Boron is an Insulator at low temperatures, but becomes a Conductor at high temperatures! (really high temperatures )

It reminds me how Fascinating chemistry really is!

( I don't really know very much :eek2: )

I'll finish my Boron thread within the next couple days.

Thanks for your interest P-man! ( s'funny, I know T-man! :eek: )

However, Amazingly Boron is an Insulator at low temperatures, but becomes a Conductor at high temperatures! (really high temperatures )

Thats true of most insulators. Insulators insulate because they have filled electron bands. At normal room temperatures, electrons can't be promoted to higher energies (in other words they can't be made to move) because of the large band gapped between the filled band and the next highest bands.

As you increase the temperature however, the average thermal energy starts to promote electrons to conduction bands.

As to superconductivity, I'm not familiar with the phenomenon in boron, but in general superconductivity occurs when electrons manage to pair up via interactions with the crystal lattice. The pairs of electrons then "condense" down into one quantum state. In boron, I guess the added pressure in some way deforms the crystal to allow for the electrons to pair up.

-Will

Temperatures that are "simulated" under Scientific contols are NOT the normal variations that occur form Phoenix to Winnepeg!

What I post is the 'Best To my Knowledge': which can be uninfallible. :eek:

You pose a good point.

Boron, as far as I Know is quite the 'stable' element.

What research that goes beyond closed doors is a mystery to me. " I wasn't there ".. I try and report.

What I DO know is that Boron has 3 Electrons to work with! :eek2: and Borons' Bonds are indeed "covalent" !

And that Boron can form 'stable' covalently bonded networks', much like Carbon!!! :) Its structure is indeed a "very special Rhombohedral" formation that made it Such the center of attention during Post World War II research! ( I'm not making this up )

Its potential uses are 'still under research' !

( Have been under research. :)

I'm simply trying to report the facts! for the benefit of others. :D

Boron is the 5th element and being such-as-it-Is, could be a great benefit!

Seems Natural doesn't it??

Did I mention that Boron is Necessary in small amounts for Plant Growth; But in larger amounts it becomes poisonous! :(

Indeed , in response to your inquiry, about plant growth!!

"Borax" is necessary in SMALL amounts for plant growth.

In larger amounts, its poisonous.

For example, To grow a Peach, 1ppm of Boron is needed. ( 1 part per million )

while 5 ppm's would be Toxic!!

Don't worry about 'overdosing' on Boron; Its quite safe.

HOW this process happens , I can't quite fully explain. :eek2:

I just try and report the facts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Refreshing this thread a bit!

see, I posted some real science stuff! Ya' all just missed some of it! :hyper:

Boron minerals form when water that had Boron in it, percolates into desert lakes. These lakes subsequently evaporate; leaving behind thick, juicy layers of Borates with chlorides and sulfates... :hihi:

Anyone else have anything they know about Boron??

Love this lil' stable element.

all I know about boron:

Atomic No. 5

Symbol: B

Atomic mass: 10.811

most stable oxidation state: +3

Electron configuration: 1s2 2s2 p1

covalent radius: 0.82

Atomic radius: 1.17 (Quantum mechanical value for free atom)

Atomic Volume: 4.80cm^3/mol (at 300k)

First ionisation potential: 8.298

Specific heat capacity: 1.026 J/g/k (at 300k)

Electronegativity: 2.04

Heat of vapourisation: 507.8 kJ/mol (at boiling point)

Heat of Fusion: 22.6 kJ/mol (at melting point)

Electrical Conductivity: 0.000005/ohm/m (at 293K)

Thermal conductivity: 27.0 W/m/K (at 300K)

Crystal Structure: Rhombohedral

yeah thats about it :)

So what does the word 'boron' actually mean? By which I mean, what are the root meanings of the name 'boron'? Was it just chosen to sound like 'boring', or is that a happy coincidence? :evil:

Boron comes from the Arabic "buraq" which means white! ;)

Chinese were using it since 300AD for pottery glazes... ;)

Remember when you do Laundry and use detergent, Boron compounds are used! Same for washing hands...;)

BORON! :hihi: