Science Forums

Creating Global Harmony

clapstyx

On the 14th of February at 10.00pm Australian Eastern Standard Time an attempt will be made to literally create global harmony. All those musicians amoungst us who feel that its time to reconsider the course of progress and history are invited to play their instrument for 30 mins at that time either alone or in concert with others.

The moment in time is designed to create a testament to the power of positive thinking and acknowledge that the creation of global harmony to the highest possible degree is a pursuit of all humanity.

The thought is that once we have proven to ourselves that regardless of our race, colour or religion that we share at least one common ideal we can begin to expand upon that as a foundation to greater understanding and co-operation that will aid us to rise up and meet as one the Carbon Dioxide challenge. Various concerts are now being planned around the world on an independent basis.

On the 14th of February at 10.00pm Australian Eastern Standard Time

Just to clarify, do you mean Eastern Standard Time (UTC+10) or Daylight Saving Time (as it still will be in NSW, Vic and Tas) (UTC+11)?

In other words, is it 11:00 or Midday UTC?

Blues in A, anyone? Or maybe we should do it in Bb in deference to the brass and woodwind players. :)

*Limbers up fingers for a 30 minute solo.* :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Timing : I am in Queensland so we dont yet appreciate the advantages to daylight savings..apprarently it fades the curtains by an extra 8% !

As for blues in A..well yes that would be fine for me. Bb..hmm maybe if I changed to an open tuning.

In all seriousness the project is really designed to make people think about whether its possible, whether they want to see it happen, whether it should be an ultimate goal of humanity to create, whether humanity should have any goals at all, who should be defining them, do we have anyone that can.. all that kind of stuff thats important in a civilised world that knows where its going.

Honestly I would be very surprised if it happens because its not exactly an everyday pursuit that the media encourages us to think about. For it to happen there is going to need to be lots of media and probably a notable celebrity or world leader to come out and endorse it. After that it will take people looking for their own ways of increasing the chances of it happening.

At the end of the day I would like to see people unplug their heads from the TV that they let rule their lives and walk out onto the street and chat with their neighbour about the dude sitting on his roof with a guitar trying to create harmony with the chick on a Trombone two doors down. Then real life would be more interesting than a rerun of Hogans Heroes...and they two would then be thinking about the desireability of global harmony as a positively framed ideal.

Sure if you live on the East Coast of the US this is all going to be happening at an ungodly hour of the morning but hey some sacrifices have to be made!!

As for the US part of it I think they should play in whatever key they feel like as payback for all the crap music they keep shovelling and the rest of the world can play in C Major..because that seems to be the simplest one.

Song selection is the other hard thing. Happy Birthday isnt exactly the most inspiring peice of music and Stairway to Heaven might cause a raucous. Jesu Joy of Mans desiring is a nice piece but again some people would be upset.

Having said all that why dont we just play "Let it Be" and improvise after that until our fingers get tired and the neighbours start shouting "OK we get the message"

Timing : I am in Queensland so we dont yet appreciate the advantages to daylight savings..apprarently it fades the curtains by an extra 8% !

Oh, it does; absolutely.¹

As for blues in A..well yes that would be fine for me. Bb..hmm maybe if I changed to an open tuning.

Nah -- Just bung a capo on and you'll be right.

In all seriousness the project is really designed to make people think about whether its possible, whether they want to see it happen, whether it should be an ultimate goal of humanity to create, whether humanity should have any goals at all, who should be defining them, do we have anyone that can.. all that kind of stuff thats important in a civilised world that knows where its going.

:rainbow: Oh, yeah!

... the rest of the world can play in C Major..because that seems to be the simplest one.

... why dont we just play "Let it Be" and improvise after that until our fingers get tired and the neighbours start shouting "OK we get the message"

Good choice, and it is in Cmajor. :rainbow:

So, in a slow 2-to-the-bar feel... One, *breathe* Two, *breathe*

Verse:
|   C    |   G    |    Am     |   F     |
|   C    |   G    | F / Em Dm |   C     |
|   C    |   G    |    Am     |   F     |
|   C    |   G    | F / Em Dm | C  G/B  |

Chorus:
|   Am   |   G    |    F      |   C    |
|   C    |   G    | F / Em Dm |   C    |

======================================

¹This is a complete fabrication. :angel:

Well the latest update is that it may not be happening. I have been talking to a few music promoters over the last couple of days and the notice may be too short. This is a bit sad really but anyway. Im not sure if I should stop work on the project and let it die a slow painful death or keep doing everything I can and hope that I am not completely alone. You know when I literally set out to try and find a way to save the world I never expected the experience to be at all like this. From where I am its like most people are in some TV zombie land completely oblivious to the fact that there is a survival challenge going on.