Science Forums

The chemical of death, a process of dying

inside the sun

I was browsing my friend's threads (his name is orb) not that it matters..anyways, one was a question about acid (lsd) and its effects on the mind, and since many answered that one, i do find it appropriate to ask one of my own.

I have heard that the way that psychedelic mushrooms (shrooms) work, is by telling your mind that you are dying. And you go through all the process's of dying, without actually physcially dying. The hallucinating is common to that of when people are dying and they go, "i see a bright light," or people claim to see the gates of heaven or talk to jesus. And then i would think the fact that your going through those process's of dying (chemically) without dying,that is why you are so accepting to everything, but at the same time when you are viewiing everything in a new light, is that the process of being reborn? Is mushrooms a cycle or spiral of life and death, inside of the mind? :confused: or inside the sun

interesting interpratatoin. When I was 13 years old or so, my brother got carbon monoxide poisoning from working on a snowmobile. He finished working then went to another one and pulled on the pull cord to start the sled. He immidiatly began experiences cycadelic colors and bright lights. Then he started tweaking his eyes to the left and right. I stood watching, confused. Then he asked me to help him, then he yelled it. At this point his head was twitching to the left over and over so I grabbed him and he ceasured for 2 minutes then stopped breathing. I dont even know if he had a pulse. No one in the family knew exactly what to do in this situation. Eventually after about 20minutes he came back to and when he opened his eyes there was nothing there. He would look right passed anyone. Eventually he sat up (30mins later?) and he shuffeled himself inside the house (as this happened right at the door step). Eventually after talking to him for awhile he spoke, but it came out like french. Then 2hours later he was able to recall what happened. He said he experienced a bunch of psychodelic colors and lights, but after that all was blank untill about 40mins after the incident. Now, this was a process of death, and for all we know he may have died if we hadnt put him in the recovery posistion to allow the foam to drain out of his mouth. But my best guess tells me he didnt have heart failure, everything may have become weak and his breathing may have stopped but he was still alive, so I guess it wasnt extreme enough to experience those death experiences people have. My point is, your mushroom idea sounds logical. Since their are many different processes of death. The loss of oxygen is one of these and it causes a mushroom effect.

Like LSD, and licit prescription drugs such as Prozac and Welbutrin, Psilocybin mushrooms produce their psychotropic effect by increasing serotonin levels in neural synapses. I wouldn’t characterize this as “telling your mind you are dieing”, though one’s cognitive interpretation of the experience can sometimes involve morbid fixations.

The psychotropic effects associated with dieing (or nearly dieing), while much less well studied than serotonin-effecting drugs, appear due to 2 major effects: neural failure due to lack of oxygen (anoxia), and, in most cases, several “natural painkillers” such as beta endorphin, secreted by one’s body during the experience. In many cases, other medications may have an psychotropic effect, as well.

I’ve never experienced, or heard of anyone experiencing, the effects characteristic of anoxia – dizziness, tunnel vision, etc. – due to LSD or Psilocybin. Also, the duration of anoxia effects is usually very brief – a few minutes from onset to complete loss of consciousness – while the serotonin-effectors typically last many hours, or, in the case of the much less strong effect of drugs like Prozac, indefinitely.

I would characterize the effect of anoxia as being very different from that of LSD, etc.

In the first mushroom trip that i had I traveled in time. I traveled into the future, not only my future, but the future of mankind, to the end, to the "nothingness." After that every trip after was similiar to that. In every trip i was "the creator," i saw the future of everything, and i saw the same end over and over again, and realized how small i was, how small everything that seams big is. I accepted everything. I felt as thogh i died every single time. And when i felt as though it would never end, i fell asleep, believing i would never awake. But then there i was again, awake to my self. Anyways, this is probably irrelevant to the topic, but something subconciously told me to post this. I heard something about mushrooms being a poison, i mean, they are aren't they? All are poisonous, just some don't poison you? or poison you in a harmful away? or what? Anyways, so "mushrooms are posionous, they poison you, making you believe you are dying, and you go through the process of your death, every individual is different, so their process of death is different, giving each individual a different trip?" (just a theory)

… I heard something about mushrooms being a poison, i mean, they are aren't they? All are poisonous, just some don't poison you? …
Some mushrooms are mildly to very poisonous. The toxins involved are numerous, and vary among mushroom species - see http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap40.html. Some mushrooms are not poisonous at all, and make good food.

Psilocybin mushrooms are only very slightly poisonous – their major toxic effect is inducing nausea, which, combined with a very large minimum lethal dose, makes lethal dosing nearly impossible. Their psychotropic effects are due to different chemicals than their toxic effects.