Science Forums

Tired of this competitive world!

Tim_Lou

when everytime i think of other smart people, and compare myself to them, i feel so bad...

and i know that no matter how high your at, there is always something higher than you are...

i know that it is bad to compare to others. but it is just the way this world works.

im so tired of it! everyday, i heard of smart people...1600 sats, getting in the ivies....i feel so sad about myself...competitions are all around the world! humans are said to be born equal but not really. there are inequality among individuals...

but in other way, for everyone, no matter who you are, ends the same way....

life is like a flash at the time of dead, nothing except your soul goes with you....and finally, we are all perfectly equal...

i feel sad about this world....

i dont really know what im posting, just to start some discussion...

(maybe its just my problem, i should only compare things to myself....i know, i know...but whatever i do, the world isnt gonna change)

any opinions? experiences? feelings?

Tim,

I think I read in a previous post that you were 15 years old and a citizen of the great country of China. Forgive me if that's wrong. First let me tell you that 15 is a tough age. The world was a much simpler place when I was that age and things were difficult even then. Forget about peer pressure, I didn't have a computer, TV, VCR, DVD, cell phone. They weren't invented yet. The world is moving at a fast pace, but you can keep up. It is your world, you set the pace. And always remember that the only real knowledge is knowing that we know nothing. The smarter you get the less you know. Einstein would feel like less than a genious in todays world. Compete with yourself or you will waste alot of energy on nothing. PERFECTION IS A PATH, NOT A DESTINATION!!!

Tim, frustration levels can run high, or low, for everyone. Some periods in our lives are harder than others. If the two low points correspond, things can seem overwhelming. Is the world unfair? do some achive undeserved success while others, more qualified, more capable are left behind? Very often. Existence is arbitrary. A crap shoot, the luck of the draw....

Appreciate what you have, where you are, what you CAN do. Try to improve anyway you can. But your best efforts may not have as personally benefitial a result as lessor efforts by others.

That's life.

Enjoy the ride, it's all you have. While you can not always control the path, you can control your reaction to it.

Uncle Martin, i understand and agree with you totally.

remember someone told me b4 (i think its on tv)

it said, existed knowledge limit you.

to go beyond, you need to get "rip" some of them (the wrong ones).

yes, i understand what i should do... the only thing is to try your best...

but it is just sad to see this world.

maybe i should change it a little, this is a "comparable" world...

everyone judges other base upon something like tests, grades...

i dont know, it is just sad...

(yes, i know i have some problems, im the type of people who always try to be the best... i try and try to not compare myself to others...but, the world, is still comparing to you...)

When I said that it is your world and you set the pace , I meant that you CAN set your own pace. Slow down if you like. Decide what's important to you, but don't lose site of your future. What you do now will effect what is to be. You say you should change the world a bit, now that's the right attitude!!! You have the power to do so. Be patient, truly great things usually take time.

have you guys feel bad about someone who brags about himself?

and all his brags are real and you cant say a word about it?

(everytime when i see something like this, i tell myself to do hard work and be better than him...although it is impossible soemtimes...but, i still feel bad about it...)

His bragging probably shows an actual inferiority complex. He is compenstating for low self esteme by trying to make others feel bad about themselves.

You don't have to attack his bragging by trying to prove the facts are wrong. Just by not letting it get to you, you will show that his problem is his own and not a failing on your part.

Very well said FT. Tim, nothing is as it appears. His bragging may seem justified but is in fact probably hiding something. As FT said, It is his problem. You're above that.

Nice new signature Freethinker. Profound words!! I like the new avatar Tim_lou. How can I upload my own avatar, I've tried , the file size is not prohibitive, it just won't accept it?

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

maybe i should change it a little, this is a "comparable" world...

everyone judges other base upon something like tests, grades...

i dont know, it is just sad...

(yes, i know i have some problems, im the type of people who always try to be the best... i try and try to not compare myself to others...but, the world, is still comparing to you...)

Is it possible to see that world compares you if you don't compare yourself (how you are) with the rest of the world?I don't think so, starting from the point where you say he/she judeges then you judge them as being judging people.

But I appreciate to see that you try as well not to judge (I try it too), lately I came to the conclusion that the less you say you don't juge the more you are able to act like that.

Oh no, what is happening to my die-hard sci-tech forums!!!! All this cuddly-cuddly!!!

Well, Tim, first of all - I would NEVER guess that you were as young as you are. You have one of those gifts which mark great people: you ask, ask, ask, ask - and you wonder why things are the way they are.

I feel inferior almost every day. Hell, I went to psychologists for FOUR years to battle anxiety. I had days when I was unable to get out of bed. Luckily I am married to a great girl and we have two wonderful daughters - who have all helped me get back on track.

You won't believe how many times I wanted to shut down this site because I didn't feel like putting in the time anymore. I would compare it to other sites and see how lousy it all was - boring and ugly - and I threw away all my time. But this site cannot be compared to any other site - because I built it, and I make my own choices. The other folks make their choices. That is what makes the difference.

But then along come people like you who just shine through with their intelligent questions, constant wondering, and loyal participation.

I have a saying which has helped me a lot: "It's when the going gets rough that you know you're going somewhere".

Be yourself, Tim. You have got what it takes, whatever you want to do.

Tormod

thx, guys.

well, i will get over with this...

unhappy days in the united states...

from the day i came here, everyday is like a sad day...

think about all the changes i had made, im pretty proud of myself...

anyway, i will get over with this, as time passes...

life is like a game, an online game with ladders, everyone is trying to climb up to the top, while some others just be in between and have fun...

well, its just a game, shoudnt be this sad about it...