Science Forums

Dimensions?

Tarantism

i know that there are seven different dimensions (in theory of course) but what i dont know is what their names are...does anyone know the names and properties of the seven deimensions? :evil:

The number of dimensions depends on the theory you are refering to. Obviously you know about the three spacial dimensions plus time. I believe string theory predicts as many as 12 dimensions including time, that fit perfectly with the main theories in physics. I can't describe exactly how off the top of my head. Brian Greene's book "Fabric of the Cosmos" describes it very well.

well how longs the book? I can read fast but I have my limits... I have been looking for a book to read lately there just isnt enough physics books in the shops round here - might have to go for a trip into the big smoke

Hey Jay-qu... do yourself a favor and download Greene's audiobook from audible.com. You get two free audiobooks just for checking out the site. You do have to give your credit card info, in case you continue the subscription, but just get ur freebies and then cancel the subscription within the designated time period and you're good to go. It's a GREAT book... and you can listen from your computer or ipod!

well the dimension's go up to 24 to be exact...and after that they belive ther is a unlimited number of dimension's

"after that they belive ther is a unlimited number of dimension's"

they belive this based on the "Multiverse theory"

What theory predicts 24? Is this string theory (which is the one I was referring to, but could be mistaken)?

As far as a multi-verse theory, this is arguably bordering on metaphysics. Depending on who you ask, many argue that there can be no other universes, because UNI implies ONE and that there can only be one universe. Anything else that we might discover beyond the observable universe, would then be considered a part of this universe, even if it might appear different than our own.

Furthermore, I believe the question is in regards to the number of dimensions in our universe... or our space-time. So even IF other universes exist, they would exist in a different space and time with no connection to our own, and as such do not exist relative to our own universe. There are also theories that every possible history from every possible moment actually exists in other dimensions. Again, this is arguably metaphisics.

The exception to this alternate universe type scenario, would be brane theory. This theory suggests that there is a 'sister universe' to our own. These two 'universes' slam into each other every several trillion years to renew the beginning of their cycles in a sort of big bang. However, these universes are technically considered to be one, but the other component remains out of phase with the part were familiar with until the time when they are attracted again in another collision.

Furthermore, I believe the question is in regards to the number of dimensions in our universe... or our space-time. So even IF other universes exist, they would exist in a different space and time with no connection to our own, and as such do not exist relative to our own universe. There are also theories that every possible history from every possible moment actually exists in other dimensions. Again, this is arguably metaphisics.

I coulnt agree more with your point of view.

i've never said that one universe would be able to be aware of another.

The exception to this alternate universe type scenario, would be brane theory. This theory suggests that there is a 'sister universe' to our own. These two 'universes' slam into each other every several trillion years to renew the beginning of their cycles in a sort of big bang. However, these universes are technically considered to be one, but the other component remains out of phase with the part were familiar with until the time when they are attracted again in another collision

With this on the other hand i do nto agree.

For ther is many theories about "Another big bang"

Many belive that once all the stars will Implose

Then that will cause the implostion of the universe meaning another bigbang.

but this is a difrent subject.

With this on the other hand i do nto agree.

For ther is many theories about "Another big bang"

Many belive that once all the stars will Implose

Then that will cause the implostion of the universe meaning another bigbang.

but this is a difrent subject.

I believe your understanding of this is flawed. You are refering to the theoritical big crunch. This does not happen because all of the stars implode. IF the big crunch were to occur, it would happen because the gravitational attraction of all matter in the universe would overcome the rate of the current expansion of the universe. This also depends on the "shape" of the universe (open, closed or flat). Current theories suggest a big crunch will not happen. Instead, the current acceleration of the universe is strongly expected to continue to accelerate. If this happens indefinitely, the universe and all matter in it will expand into a very empty nothingness. Brane theory, to which I was referring, is different from that which you speak of.

• 3 weeks later...

but wouldn't it be possible?

consider the distance between things as close together as the planets in our own solar system. and yet, this is still a great distance, but amounts to squat in comparison to the distances between our galaxy and others. isn't it entirely possible that the lack of evidence of multiple universes could be due to the inability to see the gargantuan distances away that these universes might exist?

i suppose this isn't a very educated guess, its just a thought