Science Forums

Scotch Tape Saves The Day Again, In This Case From Sony Copy Protection

http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=174400748

LOL, not kidding, well first of all, according to the DMCA, scotch tape is illegal :shrug:

but apparently if you put a fingernail-thick piece of an opaque scotch tape on the outer edge of a CD, then the cd is treated as an ordinary single-layer CD which makes it burnable by ordinary programs...

People have way too much free time...

___Ahhh. I re-read the link & see they do mention the pen. I also missed on my first read the part about them putting sneaky stuff on peoples' machines. :shrug: Of course, they wouldn't need protection if it weren't for all the thieves. I bet the musicians get the biggest shaft of all. :umno: If what goes around, comes around, why not make square disks? :umno:

Sony and other’s latest string in a long history of DRM blunders is funny for sure, but let’s not get lured into the false sense that proponents of DRM and the DMCA are too inept to ever succeed, nor forget what their immediate and ultimate goals actually are.

DRM forays into software protection schemes on general-purpose computing and media hardware are marginal efforts – no well-informed people expect them to succeed significantly. The real, immediate focus of DRM is the implementation of expanded “trusted computing” schemes in hardware – monolithic media reading devices that are physically incapable of violating DRM permissions.

Unlike individual users, hardware manufacturers are potentially easy to make comply with legal and contractual requirements honoring even simplistic DRM schemes, such as “digital watermarking”. The replacement of current media reading devices, which are capable of accessing data in raw form, with “locked down” ones, need not involve sinister RIAA raids in the wee hours of the morning to seize offending hardware – it need only wait for existing hardware, with its many non-field-replaceable moving parts, to wear out, and assure that only restricted function replacements are available.

Even that venerable copy protection scheme defeater of last resort – capturing analog output (as a true last resort, one can always mike a speaker) – is not invulnerable. DRM proponents are actively exploring the possibilities of applying DMCA-type legal restriction on such low-level hardware as Analog-to/from-Digital converters, in an effort to sever the analog-digital connection we now take for granted on most available hardware.

In sociological terms, the ultimate goal of DRM proponents is the transformation of society from a “Free culture” to a “Permission culture”. Follow the links to an (appropriately enough) free copy of Lessig’s book “Free Culture” for a fairly scholarly explanation of these terms. Lessig, you may recall, is famous for arguing, and loosing, the case of Eldred v. Ashcroft before the US Supreme Court in 2002.

I don’t mean to sound completely the prophet of doom and gloom – there are plenty of effective opponents of the scary scenarios I paint, from advocacy groups like the EFF to big-money private business niches like pro audio. ADC/DACs can always be cobbled together on a breadboard or a DIY circuit board. However, if DRM defeating comes to require pricey and uncommon pro audio/video equipment or obvious electronic hobbyist gear, “sinister RIAA raids in the wee hours of the morning” begin to look less impractical, and more seriously worrying.

So long as the information is digital and availible, someone, somewhere, will find some way to copy it and make it availible for free. There is no foolproof DRM scheme, and because it doesn't take much to copy digital media, even a small chink in the armor of DRM is easily exploited.

So long as the information is digital and availible, someone, somewhere, will find some way to copy it and make it availible for free. There is no foolproof DRM scheme, and because it doesn't take much to copy digital media, even a small chink in the armor of DRM is easily exploited.
Suppose all available sound cards detect the absence of a digital watermark matching a CPU serial number, and refuse to convert digital signal that lacks it to analog?
in fact, if you can hear music, it can be made into an mp3. Either really poor quality with a microphone, or plug the headphone/aux jack into your computer's line-in and record that way, there is no such thing as copy protection when it comes to music.
Supose your soundcard has no analog in or out (or any other) jack?

Nothing physically possible can be made impossible, but it can be made very inconvenient. That which is inconvenient is potentially uncommon, and that which is uncommon can be effectively outlawed.

Note that I’m playing devil’s advocate and painting an extreme picture. My intention is to encourage everyone to think beyond the hardware you’ve currently at hand, to the hardware you may have to replace it with in 5 years, keeping in mind the questions: “can you (or someone you know and trust) repair it?” “Can you manufacture it yourself?” And, if you answer one or both questions yes, “how many of you are there?”:QuestionM

Supose your soundcard has no analog in or out (or any other) jack?

At some point a digital signal is turned into analog, and at that point you can capture it.

Suppose all available sound cards detect the absence of a digital watermark matching a CPU serial number, and refuse to convert digital signal that lacks it to analog?

An mp3 is only 0's and 1's, any serial number will simply be contained within them. Change the file to reflect as such, and it will play. Assume they're protected in such a way that I can't edit any mp3 files on my computer. It's simple enough to change the file extension and make it not an mp3, then I can edit it. Assuming that it doesn't let me, I can run it through an 'encryption' program that copies the file to a different format that is editable.

that's when you know that you need to switch to Linux...

Nothing physically possible can be made impossible, but it can be made very inconvenient. That which is inconvenient is potentially uncommon, and that which is uncommon can be effectively outlawed.

but that's what computers help us acheive, make all the inconveniences that much more convenient...

Perhaps the most sensible thing i have heard in a while, this thing was supposed to make you giggle too, it is hilarious for people in the world where no media protection exists... seriously, i have spoken about this many times with many different security people, no matter how much you try to secure anything (and copy protection is nothing more then securing the media), physical security is the #1 priority, if anyone who is willing to do unlawful things has physical access to what they are trying to break, it makes it a gazillion times easier to do so then it would be with no physical access to the same thing...