Science Forums

Speciation examples?

joel

Can you good people give me examples of observed speciation? I'm particularly interested in speciation resulting from habitats getting isolated due to human activity. Such as roads/deforestation/etc. separating north and south populations of frogs or whatnot. Thanks!

Thanks! I'm looking for something along the line of one dispersed population of critters getting separated into two non-interbreeding populations, with the result that eventually the two populations are no longer able or willing to do the wild thing with each other anymore. I am under the impression that this has been observed in amphibians, in eastern US, due to human activity splitting up contiguous north/south habitats. But I'd like a reference if possible! I'm having an on-line debate with an ID proponent (I'm in the evolution camp myself, as you probably noticed). Having examples such as this is sort of the crux of the debate. Cheers!

African cichlids are excelent examples of "speciation" in action. The main problem is that the line deviving clades, sub-species, and variants are so blurry, that a definate example is almost always argued by some perspective that is does not reach specific qualifications to reach new species level. Mainly it is a vague line as to what exactly a species is (mainly just a contrived human term that does not exactly mirror what happens in nature).