Science Forums

Vatican Official Refutes Intelligent Design

rockytriton

Why do you christians hate the pope so much?

R-e-a-d. T-h-e. L-i-n-k-s.

And I didn't say I hated him. Don't put words in my mouth. If you must assume something, assume you have to read a person's links before you can know what they are talking about.

I spent a lot of time on the second one.

http://www.remnantofgod.org/beastword.htm

http://homeofmercy.com/discussionboard/index.php?showtopic=1040#entry14450

Why do you christians hate the pope so much?

First of all, Edge… Catholics ARE Christians. Catholicism is generally regarded as being under the broader umbrella of Christianity. Within Christianity there are basically two categories (each with its own subcategories, of course): Catholicism and Protestantism. Therefore, since Catholics certainly don't hate the Pope, you cannot say that Christians hate the Pope.

Secondly, to the extent that any Protestants "hate" anyone, (Pope or otherwise) that is their own wrongdoing. Personally, I don't HATE the Pope. I have no more respect for the Pope than I do any other human. That is, I don't believe the Pope is any "closer to God" than I am. I disagree profoundly with Catholicism for a number of reasons. Chief among them is that they make the very foolish mistake of placing their priests on a moral pedestal. In Catholicism, priests are your representative to God. This is why Catholics confess their sins to a priest. Biblically speaking, each person is their own representative to God, their own "priest" as it were. To have a Catholic priest be your representative is ludicrous (and not Biblical) because, as we've seen so clearly in recent years, being a Catholic priest does not make a man "holy" or "pure". Prohibiting men from marriage and requiring they abstain from sex does not make them "pure" or "holy", either. If it did, we wouldn't have a pedophelia problem in the Catholic church, right?

Having said that, I have no idea whether the Pope is the anti-Christ or not. I wouldn't be surprised if he is, but I wouldn't claim to know that he is either. (No offense, Southtown) I do believe that Catholicism in general is pretty screwed-up, for these reasons and others. But I do not "hate" Catholics. Disagreeing with someone does not equate with "hating" them.

• 1 month later...

Uhm, Orthodox is neither Catholic nor Protestant! :surprise:

And the beast whose number is six hundred threescore six is not a nation, he's Nero Caesar.

The Catholic Church was never against science and it has always upheld hermeneutics. Those words of Benedict XVI posted upstream are not against evolution but against an atheist scientific perspective. Many of the students of physics, biology etc. I have met are very devout Catholics.

The episode of Galileo was a lot more subtle than many people think.

...a recent quote from Pope Benedict XVI regarding this issue: "Deceived by atheism, they believe and try to demonstrate that it is scientific to think that everything lacks a guide and order, ... this Word that has created everything, which has created this intelligent plan, the cosmos -- is also Love." ...

Hmmm... I noticed two things about this quote from PB16. One, "they" (the atheistic scientists) never said that everything lacks a guide and order. Quite the contrary! The core principle of science is to discover the guides and the orders of the Cosmos. The Cosmos is FULL of "guides" and "orders". Some of these are called Natural Laws of one kind or another.

What "they" DO assume is that there is NO SENTIENT, CONSCIOUS guide and order to the Universe. For if there were, and if ever even in one instance this "ID" interfered with the natural workings of the Universe, then it would prove that the Natural Laws are just a product of ID whim and whimsy. They can be (and probably are) "broken" all the time, for any of a number of arbitrary reasons. There would be no point in "doing" science, because the we would live in a Universe where the order we see is illusion, and could change at any moment.

The second thing I notice about the PB16 quote is that "Love" is equated with the ID. Say what? Now he is speaking metaphor. He went from making a real statement about the Universe to a metaphorical comparison between the purported creator of the Universe and an Emotion. It just all gets fuzzier and fuzzier, seeing through a glass darkly...