• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

translation for computer scinece section:

Linux save the end user

:evil:

LOL :eek:

RootKit Revealer didn't flag any discrepencies, but I'm still experiencing pauses in ff/moz/ns. I keep scanning with numerous AV trials, but nothing. Not even CPU spikes. The browser(s) also occasionally lock. I'm gonna start backing up bookmarks, music, and photos now. I'm tired of messing with it.

When I get around to calling my ISP and ensure they do Linux, I can just scrap XP.

I've had some problems with FF pausing. How many tabs have you got open? I find mine starts to mis-behave around 30, unless there is a lot of flash or pdfs or whatever open in the other tabs, then it's more around 20. That's with a lot of other stuff open too, though.

Mind you, can you imagine running 20 ie windows? :)

Proxify is the proxy tool I use. It's very nice, but I wish it maintained a remote list somewhere, copying by hand is a pain!

Adblock works *so* well for me it's incredible. The only ads I allow are Googles. Didn't work for my other half, she lost all sorts of important things, even just after installing it, and she then had to remove it to be able to browse properly. Really odd, it was.

I also run a script blocker that stops Javascript on a site-by-site basis, which is nice. Single click to enable/disable, and lets you turn it on for a session, then it's off next time you visit that site, etc.

I've had some problems with FF pausing. How many tabs have you got open?

Usually just 5 or less in each window. I can have 3 - 5 windows open at a time. But the pauses come right away 1 window, 1 tab.

Mind you, can you imagine running 20 ie windows? ;)

Yes, I can... :)

I also run a script blocker that stops Javascript on a site-by-site basis, which is nice. Single click to enable/disable, and lets you turn it on for a session, then it's off next time you visit that site, etc.

Is that a moz plugin? That sounds useful.

Adblock is a FireFox plugin. http://adblock.mozdev.org/

I'd probably check I was running the latest version of FF if you are having the halting problem. Not reading about Turing are you? :) Seriously though, I haven't had that issue (much) since I upgraded from 1.0.5 to 1.0.7. I get it once or twice a day now, where before it was making the machine unusable! One thing I have noticed is that FF can get upset if the internet connection disappears.

Sorry for hijacking, alex. Hope you don't mind.

Adblock is a FireFox plugin. http://adblock.mozdev.org/

Does that block js?

I'd probably check I was running the latest version of FF if you are having the halting problem.

FF 1.0.7 then 1.5/MOZ 1.7.x/NS 8.0 (all pause occasionally) I tried the mouse driver update suggested by mozilla.org, but no dice. Now I'm gonna try uninstalling all moz based browsers and reinstall FF 1.5, because sharing profiles with NS is said to be bad.

Not reading about Turing are you? :) Seriously though, I haven't had that issue (much) since I upgraded from 1.0.5 to 1.0.7. I get it once or twice a day now, where before it was making the machine unusable! One thing I have noticed is that FF can get upset if the internet connection disappears.

1) What's Turing? and 2) you get FF pauses, too?

• 2 weeks later...

i got an idea, lets see if it is hardware related, why dont you download a KDE dvd or an ubuntu live cd, pop it in, reboot into the environment, and try using firefox from there in the same manner, and see if it freezes your machine (delays are to be expected though, you are running from a cd, but nontheless it should run ok if everything is fine, or spew out errors into syslog...

no, ubuntu aims at easiness, try gentoo, still debian-based, you would be surprized at how little you know about your system, there is a lot of difference between a user friendly distro vs a power user system... especially in performance...

here let me give you an example:

can you, without running these, tell me what the following lines do?

cat /proc/cpuinfo | less

!!:0- awk '/^cpu/ {print $4}' | grep "^[0-9].[0-9]"