Science Forums

Firefox and Forensics

read first: http://blog.andthensome.nl/2005/09/02/use-firefox-and-baffle-the-cops/

I've been hearing lately that a lot of computer forensics experts have been complaining about Firefox. As you know, IE has a file in which it dumps all kinds of info, history, text input in forms, and all that kind of stuff. Firefox, however does no such thing, it is built for security.

Wow, noo, making forensics experts actually go through deleted files on the hard drive, actually making them do what they get paid to do, that is rediculous..... whimps....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I updated my firefox to 1.0.7 and it started pausing for a few dozen seconds or so at a time, and then it would resume. The computer wasn't locked, just the browser. This would happen every couple of minutes. Then I tried mozilla and netscape... same thing. Anyone hear of any issues? I also started using onboard LAN and sound around that same time, but I can't go back and check with cards now. :shrug: Just call me ie-boy.

I think I fixed my problem. I found a virus "Java/OpenStream" in the java cache and deleted it. I have no idea what it was doing, but I'm not having the same problems. Also running ff 1.5 now.

Had problems with adblock blocking flash components. I just run webster's plugin which add four right click options for highlighted text. Got it set for searching biblegateway, wiki, dictionary, and thesaurus. Just highlight/rightclick - REALLY handy, just takes a little ingenuity to use it for other things. You can even customize the menu text.

My wife and I love SOAD, but they are a little "out there" philosophically. I'm just a sucker for fast and intricate rhythms. Gotta watch the language around the kids too, haha.

lol, it doesnt do it by default, it only blocks URLs from openning up on a page, effectibvely a firewall almost, and there are always settings....

I may try it again later. Thanks for the tip on rootkits. I'm learning a lot of useful stuff here.

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

(Wah, I want my ff back. =| )