Science Forums

Voters in San Francisco approve gun banning.

Edge

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/09/AR2005110900365.html

Voters approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters.

The gun ban prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and makes it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses.

- - - - - - -

A coalition led by the National Rifle Association has said it plans to challenge the initiative in court, arguing that cities do not have the authority to regulate firearms under California law.

The military recruitment initiative won with 60 percent in favor and 40 percent against.

- - - - - - -

"We now have the moral weight of the city behind us, and it's definitely a valuable asset to have in our corner," said Bob Matthews, an activist for the proposition.

What do you think about this?

I think it is a bad movement. Banning guns does not help cities, it raises crime. I agree that guns should be acquired via a license, though.

I think it is a bad movement. Banning guns does not help cities, it raises crime. I agree that guns should be acquired via a license, though.
Go down to Hunter's Point on a Saturday night, and even packing a couple of Tec-9s with lots of extra clips, I would not rate your chances of surviving as a white dude as very high.

A lot of this was in fact pushed by the police as a way to arrest and jail gang members simply for packing heat, whereas now they just have to let them go on minor "unlicensed gun" charges. If this sounds kinda like what the feds are doing at Git'mo, well, don't be surprised, and it passes muster even in "ultra-liberal" SF.

I say if it keeps em off the street, its a good thing. As George Carlin used to say, "if you don't like the weather, move."

Likes-my-.45,

Buffy

• 4 months later...

i live in england where theres no guns and ive never seen (no offence to u.s)

why you need to have a gun if noone has a gun then your less likely too have gun crime and when you do its obvius for the police when they find a gun that its probably the gun thats been used.

i H8 guns unless there military