Science Forums

Will ever biochemistry explain how the brain works?

Carlos

The problem with using existing biochemistry to explain the brain is that it is too cumbersome. If one goes into any detail of all that is assume to be involved it gets impossible. Simulation of even a single cell using the existing approach works only fairly. Multiply this by billions and add to this all the synapses, etc.., it sounds like an impossible dream, unless things can be simplified.

The one variable that is everywhere is the hydrogen proton and hydrogen bonding. It is the most important part of DNA base pairing, protein structures, properties of water, dissolved ions, etc., etc.. The goal should be to to translate the bio-complexity into this one unification variable. It will far easier to model the brain in terms of one variable than 1000.

I beleive that there is a mind-body connection. Placebo type experiments have shown how jusy believing that one is being treated can often lead to healthful benfits often nearly as good as the med. Faith healing may be using something similar to the placebo affect, allowing the body's own healing properties to become activated. This suggests that the brain can be a useful tool for healing (maybe nervous currents stimulating the immune system) and as the ancients indirectly believed, for sickness. Evil nervous currents can depotentiate the immune system.

I beleive that there is a mind-body connection.

I would go a step further and state that the whole mind/body distinction is self-imposed, irrelevant, unnecessary, and unwarranted. No evidence, but it's all part of the same system.

Placebo type experiments have shown how jusy believing that one is being treated can often lead to healthful benfits often nearly as good as the med. Faith healing may be using something similar to the placebo affect, allowing the body's own healing properties to become activated.

True, but there are limitations. You generally are not going to recover from something like AIDS because you walk around smiling all day. That's called denial, not placebo based healing. :)

This suggests that the brain can be a useful tool for healing (maybe nervous currents stimulating the immune system) and as the ancients indirectly believed, for sickness. Evil nervous currents can depotentiate the immune system.

Don't really want to touch this for a number of reasons. However, maybe I can ask a simple question and circumvent my distaste for the last part of the quote.

What if the brain gets "sick?" What then?

Cheers. :eek2:

This person is smart.

Thanks, but it's relative. I am dwarfed by many on this site, whereas they too are dwarfed by others. But none of our individual intelligences can even come close to comparing with our collective abilities when we share and combine our individual abilities and knowledge in aggregate.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

-Isaac Newton

If you understand, things are just as they are;

if you do not understand, things are just as they are.

- Zen proverb

Systems theory.

Biochemistry is chemistry. Chemistry is physics with mathematics. Physics is based mostly off mathematical descriptions. Mathematics is from abstract concept and logic. Abstract logic and concept is made from interpreation.. interpretation is made from the mind... hmm

Something leads to the explanation of biochemistry will lead to explaination of how the brain works.

In my view of science over the years; I see that analog waves are the true objects of explanation. Whatever particles are...