Science Forums

Terraforming Mars

pgrmdave

I have heard various ideas, I dont know if they work... One suggested first taking machines there that produce vast amounts of CO2 in order to create a greenhouse effect to warm the planet and then after a sufficent amount of time plant lots of trees to convert the CO2 to oxygen

There's plent carbon frozen stiff on the Martian poles. Basically dry ice, it just needs to be transported out to the equator, somehow. If you were to melt it at the pole, it'll just freeze out again.

There's plenty oxygen, but it's trapped in the rock, oxides and rust, giving Mars a red colour.

The only snag would be how to energize the whole process.

Alternatively, I suppose bio-engineering lichens or something to survive there would be a start, but it'll take hundreds of thousands of years before any profitable change would be seen.

The problem with CO2 & trees afterwards, is that the CO2 would create a greenhouse effect, and the trees will remove it - thereby freezing the whole place over again. Balance would be hard to achieve.

The availability of water is yet another hiccup in the process. Maybe, before we start colonizing, we should look for a a couple of comets, or some other snowball, and nudge it in the direction of Mars, to inject some water into the system. We can get it to graze the atmosphere, and not slam right into the planet where most of the potential water could be lost as ejecta from the impact.

There's plenty angles on this problem, and plenty possible solutions. I guess resources isn't a problem at all - the single biggest problem in my mind is the availability of energy on Mars. We can't attempt large-scale engineering with solar panels.

How could we go about terraforming Mars?

The Atlantic Ocean averages two miles deep. The Pacific Ocean averages three miles deep. The big scoop that once filled the holes is orbiting overhead - the moon.

Aside from Olympus Mons, Mars is pretty much dead flat. If you moved one of Jupiter's wet moons to Mars for volatiles and water, all you would get is a shallow or deep puddle of a wet planet. Useless.

As far as terraforming concepts go, I have always believed that if we could overcome the 875 degree temp, on Venus, we might have better luck on this planet. Plenty of everything needed to sustain life, we would just need to air condition quarantined areas for life support. Huge task but I believe within the scope of reason.

Aside from Olympus Mons, Mars is pretty much dead flat. If you moved one of Jupiter's wet moons to Mars for volatiles and water, all you would get is a shallow or deep puddle of a wet planet. Useless.

Except for Valles Marineris, and the thousands of craters. If we were able to somehow direct the water there, we could have lakes, and possibly an ocean.

As far as terraforming concepts go, I have always believed that if we could overcome the 875 degree temp, on Venus, we might have better luck on this planet. Plenty of everything needed to sustain life, we would just need to air condition quarantined areas for life support. Huge task but I believe within the scope of reason.

isnt the atmosphere sulfuric acid... that would have to have one hell of a quarantined area...

isnt the atmosphere sulfuric acid... that would have to have one hell of a quarantined area...
The atmosphere is composed of mostly carbon dioxide with clouds of sulfuric acid droplets so yes, environmental structures will need to be made of proper materials to stand up to this challenge. I will point out however, that plastics have very good properties for dealing with this problem and as polymer technology advances, dealing with the temp. extremes should also be attainable. As a matter of interest, I believe that there are plastics available at present that are capable of standing up to these tempertures.

Whether Mars or Venus, there are obstacles that we will need to overcome.

Venus is closer to the sun (good for solar panels, bad for temperature regulation), much higher surface air pressure (bad), much hotter with a corrosive atmosphere (bad), same g as Earth (bad for return-sample missions), closer to Earth (good), much longer days (in the region of hundreds of Earth days - bad), from the only surface pic we have from the Soviet Venera mission, surface mostly rock (bad - of course, if an alien spaceship took one photo if it landed on top of Ayer's Rock, they'll draw the same conclusion.

Mars seems to be an all-round winner here - if only there was a solid reason for it...

• 3 months later...