Science Forums

Flu Shots

Turtle

I took the flu shot for my first time earlier in the year (before our winter) and I have never had the flu before I just decided that it would be a bad year for me to get the flu, being my last year of high school, and as it turns out I still got the flu... :confused: so im not going rushing off to get my shot next year or anything...

I took the flu shot for my first time earlier in the year (before our winter) and I have never had the flu before I just decided that it would be a bad year for me to get the flu, being my last year of high school, and as it turns out I still got the flu... :confused: so im not going rushing off to get my shot next year or anything...

___I'm ignorant on whether the vaccine also lessens the illness if you do get it, or is it just preventative? I have taken the vaccination about 4 years now; today I noticed for the first time that I developed a dry mouth.

___I have heard talk saying don't take it, but I never understood why they say that; I have taken all kinds of vaccinations since they started giving them & have always assumed it's a good idea even though I have some risk of a reaction. :confused:

I know that at least in the United States, all drugs released go through a (usually) vigorous screening process, and are (again, usually) safe and effective. Flu vaccines have been used for a long time, and I have a feeling that if they were completely ineffective, there would be massive amounts of evidence against them, which I haven't found. I don't remember ever receiving a flu shot, but I am not at very high risk for contracting it. I've only had the flu once or twice in my lifetime, and I recover quickly.

___I watched 2 PBS programs tonight on medicine; the first on flu & anti-virals & the other on antibacterials & super bugs. They reported on a group up on Vashon Island near Seattle who don't take immunizations & won't let their kids take ANY immunizations on some religious grounds. They encountered similar problems in India trying to stamp out polio.

___Here's a Sunday activity; go to a local cemetary that dates back to the early 1900's & see who can find the most graves with little lambs on them. Those are the children killed by the 1918 flu pandemic.

___I didn't hear on the show specifically anyone say immunization may also lessen the severity of an illness if you should get it anyway; they did say not all immunizations 'take'. They say the hope lies in staying one step ahead of mutations & immunizing people to prevent a pandemic. Do nothing & millions will die; again. :confused:

I have taken the shot years ago since I beieved the hype and worked in healthcare, around alot of sick people.

However, there are many reasons I do not currently. I want my body to increase its immunity by the mechanism it normally uses. I do not trust the batches made...if they are too strong or too weak, I do not want to introduce mercury into my body(frequently used in vaccinations), and many who get ill or get serious disease are exposed via the flu shot. The other problem is when they make their batches of flu vaccine and go all out on THAT TYPE of flu bug, if another kind hits, you would have no resistance to the occurence since it is a different strain of flu virus.

The only time I would recommend considering the vaccination is if one is debillatated by disease(like pneumonia history, asthma, etc) very old and very young if high rates of exposure are expected. In hospitals, day cares, nursing homes, psych wards, and jails should also consider getting the vaccination. As I have stated, in the profession of healthcare, many will get it based on higher exposure rates and increased likelihood of transmission. Likewise, there are others like myself in healthcare that have similiar reasons why they do not get vaccinated. Personal choice imo based on sound logic and great soap and water technique is critical. Take care :friday:

I will NOT get a flu shot, as I am finally on the tail-end of recovering from a three-year illness that was triggered by a Hepatitis B vaccine. I will probably have to deal with some of the effects of that illness for the rest of my life, short of a miracle or some kind of new medical treatment. I have no desire to deal with all those nasty preservatives in a flu shot and I don't want it bugging my immune system again. The risk for me is too great. In addition, I've known multiple people to get REALLY sick when they have the flu shot, then not sick at all or barely sick when they skip it.