Science Forums

Time change

IrishEyes

This question is actually for TORMOD, or another list moderator.

I've noticed that the 'time' of my posts is not consistent. why is that? I understand that the time zone of the forum is not the same as my time zone. However, I've posted a few times, and the timestamp on my posts has been "4:40pm" (as an example), but when i check back later, the same post will say "2:40pm". I don't think it's my imagination, is it?

• 1 month later...

Ok, nobody posted a reply, and I didn't bother before,a s it was just an observation. However, now I'm really interested in an answer. Doing the moderator thing, i try to keep an open note letting me know what time I last checked posts. I was just going through the site, trying to keep up with the new stuff, and I noticed it again.

I live on the east coast of the US. Right now, i is roughly 6pm. When I posted a message earlier, it was roguhly 5:30pm. The time stamp on the post indicated 2 hours later. Now it's saying 3 hours earlier. This is just hurting my head!! i'm guessing that the new time is fromt he server, in Arizona, right? So what is the interim time?

I know you guys think this is silly, as nobody bothered to respond before, but somebody please either explain it here, or send me a private message. i'm trying to keep up with all the new posts, without having to read through EVERYTHING, but that's not easy to do when my time references keep changing. Maybe I should spend some time nt he "TIME" thread to figure this out???

Ok, I figured out the change.

If I am logged in, the time stamps are two hours ahead of my actual time.

If I am logged out, they are three hours behind my actual time.

I don't know 'why?" but now I know what the difference is, and I also know it's not just in my mind! See, FreeT, I'm not crazy, and I figured it out all by myself, using the SCIENTIFIC METHOD. How totally cool is that? Ok, so my kids helped me out a little...they asked me questions to figure out 'when' i noticed the difference, and I did a few experiments with posts, etc. But now that the mystery is solved, I'll have to figure out something else to figure out, like where the heck Tormod hid the 'update e-mail address' button...

I've seen this thread a hundred times and never looked at it because of the post date in april. I'm 99% sure it did say April, it now says May 5th, which is my Daughter's birthday, I'd have noticed that. I thought it was a reminder of daylight saving time. There is a lesson to be learned here, never assume anything.

My time was off by 3 hours when I first joined, so instead of setting it at GMT- 6 in my profile I put it at GMT- 3 to correct. It is accurate for several days, then things do get a bit strange. One post in particular, I know I posted at 2:00 AM. When I read through the thread several days later it stated 8:00 AM. This would not be a problem if not for the subject of the post being less than coherent due to far too much beer. Which was discussed later. I'd really be alright with too many beers at 2:00 AM, but at 8:00 AM it looks pretty bad. You get my point.

You'll laugh, but I know exactly the post you mean. I remember thinking that if you were already saucy at 8am, you were in for a REALLY long day, or a really short one. Either that, or you worked the graveyard shift. My mom used to get worried about me when I'd call her from Puerto rico at 7am my time to tell her i was sitting on a beach drinking a beer. Of course, that was after a 12 hour midwatch, and my body had no concept of day or night. but that was not what she wanted to hear. shet hought i was a serious alkie for quite a while. then she reealized that i was just a normal sailor (ha, whatever THAT means!).

of course, i haven't been to puerto rico in many years, and i have no idea if beer at 7am on cerro gordo beach would even taste as good. i think if i tried to drink a beer there now i'd probably get sick. it's been too many years of not drinking formaldehyde laced liquids for me!! (no, not an attack on alcohol, just on American brews that they package for 'overseas'; heinekin is usually the best way to go to avoid a formy hangover, as disgusting as those green bottles are!)

oh, and how cool to have a cinco de mayo baby!! i was trying for that, but my youngest was born on the 8th (the reverse of my anniversary -8/5). so now, every so often, we share a day, her b-day and Mother's day. cool, huh? my oldest is the day after my birthday, which happens to be later this week! the other 4 all fall on psuedo-holidays... Christmas Eve, winter solstice, Lincoln's b-day and Tax day. weird, huh?

MUST GET SLEEP!!!

Irish, first you tell us you are a cryptographer, now a sailor with alcohol problems (in denial, though, not good). And you obviously can't read a clock. Should we start worrying now?

And my youngest, Emily, turns ONE YEAR today! Weee....so she was born on July 5, 2003 (07/05/2003 -> that's three prime numbers for ya).

Tormod

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

I live on the east coast of the US. Right now, i is roughly 6pm. When I posted a message earlier, it was roguhly 5:30pm. The time stamp on the post indicated 2 hours later. Now it's saying 3 hours earlier. This is just hurting my head!! i'm guessing that the new time is fromt he server, in Arizona, right? So what is the interim time?

Yup, the server is in Arizona. Your own profile decides what time will be displayed for you when you are logged in - IF the profile setting is correct. Lots of users have never set this correctly - some because they don't know about it, some because they don't care, some because they have been imported from another list so they are probably listed as "US Minor Outlaying Islands" (first on the list, I think). I was imported as living in "Netherlands" with a fairly interesting time offset of -0.5 hours off GMT (!). Norway is GMT+1, btw.

I know you guys think this is silly, as nobody bothered to respond before, but somebody please either explain it here, or send me a private message. i'm trying to keep up with all the new posts, without having to read through EVERYTHING, but that's not easy to do when my time references keep changing. Maybe I should spend some time nt he "TIME" thread to figure this out???

Hey, even Einstein couldn't explain what time is...but then again, this isn't a question of what time is, but what time IT is.

Tormod

Irish, first you tell us you are a cryptographer, now a sailor with alcohol problems (in denial, though, not good). And you obviously can't read a clock. Should we start worrying now?

In my old life, before I got to be a stay-at-home, schooling mom, I was a cryptologist in the Navy, lived overseas, and drank a LOT. Many things have changed since then. But i still like being overseas whenever possible, and I love being out on the open ocean. Actually, one of my favorite times of my life was being on a carrier in the Persian Gulf. I saw the most incredible meteor shower while transitting the Strait of Hormuz one night. Of course, in those days, the bad thing about the gulf was that alcohol was scarce depending on the port call country. I wouldn't have those same concerns today.

And you obviously can't read a clock.

I taught my kids to only read digitals! ;~P

And my youngest, Emily, turns ONE YEAR today! Weee....so she was born on July 5, 2003 (07/05/2003 -> that's three prime numbers for ya).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMILY GULDVOG!!!