Science Forums

Video Ipods

Eh? You can get a pocket sized laptop that plays music, podcasts and video for over 8 hours at a time for under £300? Tell you what, I'll take 10.

As for playing video, etc. people have been hacking them open, hacking the software, installing Linux, etc. and doing all sorts of neat stuff. Check out http://www.makezine.com for loads of cool iPod hacks, along with a load of other stuff involving makeing stuff. I've subscribed since Issue 2, and it is well worth it! Oh, and they do podcasts of loads of stuff, too.

Mini PC's that need to get hacked? why bother with that? you could buy a Zaurus PDA (by Sharp) comes with a flip touch screen, mini keyboard and runs off of linux, 4 gigs of storage, expansion slot for more or a wireless card, ehternet over USB, and its almost a full system. Hacking wires, flashing roms, pshft, its ready, little bit of a challenge to find, but well worth the time...

And why would you want Suse on a laptop anyways?

• 2 weeks later...

Video on the iPod is clearly a bonus feature. Apple are testing the water. Key future features they should be focusing on are:

1. iPod battery life/durability - this is still wanting

2. iPod video/audio in/out - c'mon, why buy shows when you can suck it out of the telly!

3. Radio - everyone gets bored of their music/wants to listen to the news

4. A cell phone (iTalk?) version e.g. an iPod with a built-in phone NOT that ROKR disaster. Why-o-why did they team up with the 'uber design losers' Motorola? Imagine a bluetooth headset which when the phone is docked with the Mac switches to iChat AV/Skype.

5. iPad - PDA/iPod conflation - this seems a natural evolution. I envisage a screen the length of the unit, with a pop-up cgi scroll wheel with positional clicking like the mighty mouse.

(They need to employ me.)