Science Forums

Can you build it?

my laptop keyboard is pretty good (has two ctrl keys - one on each side :)) dont think there is any mayjor design flaws or I would realise it...

In reply to upgrading to get above a Gb in memory - well its almost useless in this case, if she is just using the net wordprocessing and some photo editing then 512 is fine, if in a year she needs it for more then by all means spend the extra $$

I’m this moment typing on a Toshiba A65-126 laptop purchased at CompUSA for $400 (after rebates), with $160 in added memory to max it at 1.2 GiB, and a $200/2 year accidental damage replacement warrantee (I’ve never dropped or sat on a laptop, but the peace-of-mind this affords feels well worth the $200), for a total cost of $760.

see Irish, that is exactly what i mean, he got a Celeron 2.8 toshiba, although it is an ok top, think about it, for $100 you are getting an amd 64 2.8 laptop that is about 3 times faster then that cell with 512 megs of RAM (you might want to upgrade to a gig or two in the future, but right now, its more then wnough, especially in linux, give it a gig of swap and you are golden, and that can function as a DVD player on your long car trips, with a neat remote control... It also has a better keyboard layout, I dunno why, but toshiba layout seems to stink a lot, i got used to it, but my firends hate it. It also comes with a better screen and its a 15.4 inch screen not a 15, which makes it soo much wider and seem like a 17, no kidding, 20 gigs more space, DVD rw, and although the toshiba comes with a ATI mobility radeon 7000, it is still a low-end card, it doesnt have good 3d acceleration drivers in linux anyways (that you need to have an Nvidia card for), so going with a card that is supported by the manufacturer, for a person who doesnt play games much anyways.... up to you :)