Science Forums

The Self Replicating Nanofactory

Vmedvil

Okay, I have been neglecting this for awhile How to create a Silicon Nano-factory, which is a synthetic lifeform made of silicon that manufactures something, these Nano-factories crawl around or fly there are two forms of them, they are not medical and do self reproduce, They are what I call "True" Nano-factories like the ones in this game's wonder video. 

First we need to start with the composition of the Nano-Factory which is Silica sheets and Carbon Nano-tubes, which Silicon-Carbon Bonds can be made between the Silica and Carbon Nano-tubes which are quite strong bonds able to withstand some meddling, which Silica is a liquid that dries when in air which can be used as a molecular Glue on Carbon Nano-tubes which are made from Graphene sheets rolled up as previously discussed.  So our building Materials and Silica and Graphene. Graphene is basically just pure Carbon atoms in hex-configurations.

Graphene-and-carbon-nanotubes-as-A-singl

We must construct wires and circuits of Carbon Nano-tubes, but we must make a molecular assembler which does the function of generation of materials for Nano-Factory and other things construction these can make Carbon Nano-tube Structures and Silicon structures. The design for the molecular assembler is a set of filters that are constructed at the resolution of 1 nm to only allow certain atoms and molecules through the filter into the device which are constructed of Silica atomically bonded with itself in a filter. If you wanted a Filter that only allowed Silica through it you would need to cut out a shape that fits around the molecular structure that you want to pass through. 

Silica Filter 

download.jpg

Carbon Filter 

co2-molecule-720x400.jpg

After that you will need a Molecular assembler that can create bonds between atomic orbitals which there is an equation for, the electron density to electron lithography bond electrons into orbitals around atoms but you will need a nano-scale electron beam lithography device to do it in this shape, electrons can be shot into orbital around atoms or wider configurations can cut through a bond and cut your material, which this needs to be constructed with carbon nano-tube capacitors as mirrors  on the nano-scale along with a Carbon Nano-tube electron gun, all encased in silica.

Electron Beam Molecular Assembler

download-1.jpg

This Device Paired with the Filters will make your objects out of Carbon or Silicon from molecular components only allowing these into the firing area of the electron beam to be bonded into larger materials like Silica sheets or Carbon Nano-tubes or Graphene plates.

After that other parts can be made but these are the most critical for self-replication and for now I will stop here with the basic organelle for your Synthetic Nano-machines past having these two devices you can have anything that is self replicating as long as it can move to draw a pattern, all you ever needed was a Molecular Assemblers for Silicon and Carbon, which this device is.

Resist-Patterning2.png

Medical Nano-machines

Well basically for a Medical Nanorobot you need a RNA Oligonucleotide Synthesizer build into the nano-machine this will be used as messager RNA, The Microfluidics need to have filters to filter the chemicals input to do oligonucleotide synthesis, The Nanomachine will need to intake DNA Monomers from the cell.

DNA or RNA Monomer Structure

main-qimg-d28a8e80e2b457f35b3b3a69512ead

The Microfluidics will have to follow the pathway made of Carbon Nanotubes in a pathway the same as RNA Synthesizer to make DNA or RNA to change the cell built in Silica.  The Chambers would need to guide the biochemistry of Oligonucleotide synthesis. To make DNA and RNA Chains to communicate with the cell chemically.

DNA Synthesis Chemical Cycle

phosphoramidite-oligonucleotide-synthesi

Microfluidic Flow Diagram for DNA or RNA synthesis.

PMC2860119-gkq092f1.png

This would allow if the Nano-machine is smaller than the cell for the Nano-machine to create new  DNA or RNA within the cell and change its DNA on the fly.

You would also need a Wifi Chip within the device to communicate with the Nano-Machine wireless, The Chip would need a diagram made of Carbon Nanotube wires which is one of the shapes that can be 3-D Printed, The Wifi transmitter will communicate with the Nano-DNA Synthesizer  selecting the DNA or RNA Monomer to be input into the cell.

Wifi Control Chip Diagram

bb-bone-wifi-01-fig-1.jpg

This Wifi Chip schematic will need to be drawn in Carbon Nanotube Wires enclosed in Silica to make the circuit for the Wifi Chip, then you can have the Wifi Signal open and close different channels to allow certain Mononers through into the Nano RNA/DNA Synthesizer  This will make the Nano-machine's WIfi Control Chip that will control RNA/DNA Output into the cell from a person with a computer connected wireless to the Nano-Machine, that way the data can be input from the computer and Output in DNA/RNA code into the cell.

The Power source for these nano-machines will be a synthetic mitochondria which will metabolize Sugar into a combustion reaction, this device will be shaped much like a normal mitochondria but with several modifications that will combust sugar into energy and waste products to drive a nano-motor.

The Synthetic Mitochondria will filter Sugar into the device using Nano-Filters much like the other parts allowing only this product and needed reactants into it. It will flow through the device pushing water into steam as sugar reacts which will turn nano-motors by compression through the Synthetic Mitochondria with a series of nano-motor wheels generating electricity all the parts being made of Silica and Carbon Nanotubes exiting the Synthetic Mitochondria as heated waste products after turning those nano-motor wheels.

guo-nanomotor.jpg

Afterward, this will turn a nano-generator which contains magnets and coils generating a current from the mechanical motion of the turning drive wheel much like a Internal Combustion alternator but on the scale of molecules powering the DNA Synthesizer, electron beam molecular assembler and other parts with vital electric current using wires of Carbon Nano-tubes to flow electricity to these parts.

the finale to this Industrial Nanorobotics post, Movement and completion.

There are two variants of the movement of the swarms of nano-robots, which I call the submarine model and the helicopter movement model which both share a common principal which by the names I am sure you can understand how this works, the mechanical movement generated is converted into motion being  the form of a propeller and  propulsor on the nano scale.

The only difference between the aerial and aquatic nano-machines is the shape of the movement devices.

Finally Fabrication, which is done by the same device as the molecular assembler is but on the macroscopic scale, which uses the same technology as computer nano circuits but on the scale of 1 nm.

In order to make Nano-factories large molecular pieces will have to be made in the form of Nano-Electronics, the outside of the chip will be made of Silicon Carbide that has been nano-fabricated with wires of Carbon Nano-tubes, This will allow the nano-machines to have electronic systems on them. The Nano Electron Lithography device can produce Silicon Carbide,Carbon Nanotube, and Silica structures for the nano-machine. The Silica will act as a glue while the Silicon Carbide the semiconductor with carbon nanotubes being the conductor wires for the circuitry on the Nano-machine which as of right now will be for the Electron Lithography Assembler's guide computer, Wifi Chip to receive and sent commands, along with the internal computer which all can be assembled by the Nano Electron Lithography Assembler as all of them can be made via electron lithography into structures.

Thus if we wanted tomorrow one could actually build this Silicon Nano-factory using a Larger electron lithography device that would then replicate into more if placed into a aqueous liquid of the proper materials which would feed the Nano-Electron Lithography assembler that would then be filters for construction of the Self Replicating Silicon Nanite.

Anyone have a Electron Lithography device wanna try and make a Silicon Nanofactory? I tell you it will work, they will even move on its own and make more of themselves and other things can construction in three materials, Silicon Carbide,Carbon Nanotubes, and Silica.

In Swarms it is possible to build structures as large as cars or houses using Swarms of Silicon Nano-factories. These Nano-machines using Computers within along with Wifi Chips for swarm intelligent construction of items to atomically precise scales. You could even interface them with a laptop or Ipad that has a Wifi Chip in them.

They use Sugar for fuel, all you would have to do is place the Nano-factories in sugar water after and they could run forever or in the blood would have plenty of sugar.

Here is something I am not exactly sure about The Binding Energy of Silicon Carbide,Carbon Nanotubes, and Silica, It stands to reason that there should be a way to insert an electron into the orbital of Silicon Carbide,Carbon Nanotubes and Silica to produce the Bonds needed to construct the device or the entire device could be electron lithographied and actually cut from these materials but I would rather use a Nano Electron Lithography device to create bonds, if you ionize the electrons then create a bond then all we must do it put an electron in orbit to make the materials covalent bond(https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2016/nr/c5nr07539d#!divAbstract and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26757842)

In Organic Molecules covalent bonds have been produced via electron lithography whether the process could happen in inorganic molecules such as Silicon Carbide,Carbon Nanotubes and Silica but if Organic Molecules can be bound to Graphene then other molecules can too, I was thinking the Silicon bonds is enough like a carbon to reproduce the effect of Electron beam covalent binding of molecules.

The Nano-synthesis chemicals have been changed from Silane to Silica because Silica is less toxic than Silane and follows similar chemical processes being a silicon dioxide versus a silicon hydrogen compound, plus using Silica is cheaper than Silane along with being  naturally on the earth.

Updated Nano-synthesis with Silica instead of silane.

Nano-synthesis of CO2 into Carbon Nanotubes stays the same in this process, read more at (https://www.kurzweilai.net/high-quality-carbon-nanotubes-made-from-carbon-dioxide-in-the-air-break-the-manufacturing-cost-barrier).

CO2-to-CNT-conversion.png

This allowing the silicon nano-machines able to do Nano-synthesis in Earth's atmosphere and surface, also they would work on other planets too with similar materials able to be sourced on many planets.

I don't understand NFTs... However now NFTing my design.

New-Bitmap-Image.png

Link = https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f947276749ce646f68ac8c248420045cb7b5e/103071860955902814613663753513582137519151805275909650010188884274199585095681

Edited by Vmedvil

On 3/9/2023 at 1:46 AM, Vmedvil said:

The Synthetic Mitochondria will filter Sugar into the device using Nano-Filters much like the other parts allowing only this product and needed reactants into it. It will flow through the device pushing water into steam as sugar reacts which will turn nano-motors by compression through the Synthetic Mitochondria with a series of nano-motor wheels generating electricity all the parts being made of Silica and Carbon Nanotubes exiting the Synthetic Mitochondria as heated waste products after turning those nano-motor wheels.

guo-nanomotor.jpg

I am confused.  Is the illustration not a picture of a microtubule, not a mitochondria?

5beb3b48cf6dd.jpg

Visualizing 'unfurling' microtubule growth

[quote]Living cells depend absolutely on tubulin, a protein that forms hollow tube-like polymers, called microtubules, that form scaffolding for moving materials inside the cell. Tubulin-based microtubule scaffolding allows cells to move, keeps things in place or moves them around. When cells divide, microtubule fibers pull the chromosomes apart into new cells. Cells with defects in tubulin polymerization die. [/quote] [quote] Microtubule fibers are hollow rods made of much smaller tubulin subunits that spontaneously assemble at one end of the rod, but exactly how they do this inside the crowded environment of living cells has been a mystery. Now researchers at UC Davis have uncovered the mechanism that puts these blocks in place, illustrated in a new animation. [/quote]

more... https://phys.org/news/2018-11-visualizing-unfurling-microtubule-growth.html

Edited by write4u

1 hour ago, Vmedvil said:

It is a nano-motor as described, these are not organic nanomachines they don't have proteins in them such as microtubules.

Please forgive my insistence.  I am not trolling, but trying to correct what I perceive as a misidentifier.

I understand that it depicts an artificial construct, but it is not a mitochondrion, it is an artificial microtubule. 

It looks very much like the cross-section of a microtubule motor that drives bacterial flagella 

Structures of the stator complex that drives rotation of the bacterial flagellum | Nature ...<--- microtubule

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0788-8

open the side-bar titled [Figures]

Edited by write4u

6 minutes ago, write4u said:

Please forgive my insistence.  I am not trolling, but trying to correct what I perceive as a misidentifier.

I understand that it depicts an artificial construct, but it is not a mitochondria, it is an artificial microtubule. 

AFAIK, Mitochondria do not drive any kind of motor .

However, it looks very much like the microtubule motor that drives bacterial flagella 

Structures of the stator complex that drives rotation of the bacterial flagellum | Nature ...<--- microtubule

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0788-8

The idea is to combust sugar and make the nano-motor spin by this combustion and is somewhat like a bacterial flagella but rather than move the device powers it. Those microtubules are called Alpha Helixes which is a known component of proteins. These are, once again, fully synthetic they were completely artifically created which is why they don't have that structure in that form but the carbon nanotube wires are somewhat a microtubule or alpha helix like.

Edited by Vmedvil

• 1 month later...