Science Forums

Knitting,the fibonacci sequence and public spaces

maryjd

Hello,

I'm new here and a student studying architecture at University College London, so strictly not a scientist, but i'm very keen! Anyway, I need some ideas about a new project I'm starting for my 3rd year 'theme.' I'm interested in public space design because I like to allow the society and the nature that occupies the space to have influence on the evolution of the landscape. In very over designed buildings people and nature are controlled to such an extent that there is no freedom to allow chance elements to influence the landscape.

Anyway, i'm a very very keen knitter and my tutor got widely excited when i mentioned this. Basically, the formation of knitting starts from one point, the begining of the yarn. This continous thread then aids the growth of the work, which in many ways is similar to representing the idea of a 'free' space which constantly grows and evolves within its boundaries and beyond. I then got interested in the idea that the fibonacci sequence and other elements of natural order represent a series of 'rules' that govern the formation of nature in a space (like the set stitches in knitting), and then this basis produces many variations, again like the process of the varience based on human choice formed in knitting and a free landscape. Also, I particularly like the fibonacci sequence because it explores continual growth, relating to continual growth in knitting and a space. There are a lot more links between these three things, but i'll bore evyone i think :confused:

Anyway, the knitting needs to be a way to visually represent/reflect the ideas of natural order and its relationship with random human choice (which occurs in public spaces, like when people don't walk on paths set down, but across lawns instead) - like yarn colour etc. Also i'm stuck on how to represent these ideas within a public space design. It does not have to be an architectually sound design, but a medium through which I can explore the theories.

As mathematitions, i was really just wanting any suggestions because my project has a big maths influence. Even if i'm not making entire sense (which i'm sure i'm not), i'm just trying to throw a few ideas around, and i might get some more inspiration. :surprise:

thanks a lot,

mary

Hi Mary,

Maybe my ideas and the way I represent them can be helpful to your project.

In my work I research the varies associations between the continuous side {__} and the discrete side {…} that can be found within any given Natural number.

During the years I developed representation methods which helped me to develop my work, and here are some of them:

___Nice Work Doron; I do love color in math.

___Mary, since you want a natural feel, pehaps you can use Fibonacci numbers following phyllotaxi somehow as a knitting pattern. Here is an article on phyllotaxi.

http://www.swintons.net/deodands/archives/cat_fibonacci_phyllotaxis.html

___Love to see the project when it's done in any case. :surprise:

___On reading the link I suggested, I found it doesn't clearly represent my idea for using phyllotaxy in your knitting project. In simple terms, every tree has a phyllotaxy that is a ratio of Fibonacci numbers in regard to how many leaves grow on a new stem & how many times round the stem that number of leaves twists. If I recall, Oak is 2/5 wheras Maple is 1/2. Perhaps you can translate to knitting as in 'knit 2 perl 5' or some such? :surprise:

• 5 months later...
Hello,

I'm new here and a student studying architecture at University College London, so strictly not a scientist, but i'm very keen! Anyway, I need some ideas about a new project I'm starting for my 3rd year 'theme.' I'm interested in public space design because I like to allow the society and the nature that occupies the space to have influence on the evolution of the landscape. In very over designed buildings people and nature are controlled to such an extent that there is no freedom to allow chance elements to influence the landscape.

Anyway, i'm a very very keen knitter and my tutor got widely excited when i mentioned this. Basically, the formation of knitting starts from one point, the begining of the yarn. This continous thread then aids the growth of the work, which in many ways is similar to representing the idea of a 'free' space which constantly grows and evolves within its boundaries and beyond. I then got interested in the idea that the fibonacci sequence and other elements of natural order represent a series of 'rules' that govern the formation of nature in a space (like the set stitches in knitting), and then this basis produces many variations, again like the process of the varience based on human choice formed in knitting and a free landscape. Also, I particularly like the fibonacci sequence because it explores continual growth, relating to continual growth in knitting and a space. There are a lot more links between these three things, but i'll bore evyone i think :eek2:

Anyway, the knitting needs to be a way to visually represent/reflect the ideas of natural order and its relationship with random human choice (which occurs in public spaces, like when people don't walk on paths set down, but across lawns instead) - like yarn colour etc. Also i'm stuck on how to represent these ideas within a public space design. It does not have to be an architectually sound design, but a medium through which I can explore the theories.

As mathematitions, i was really just wanting any suggestions because my project has a big maths influence. Even if i'm not making entire sense (which i'm sure i'm not), i'm just trying to throw a few ideas around, and i might get some more inspiration. :D

thanks a lot,

mary

Hi Mary,

I am a very keen knitter and really into freeform and felting at the moment. I am a Science graduate but currently doing a City and Guilds diploma in Design and Embroidery. ( I am also probably old enough to be your mother as I have a child at UCL!!!) I am doing a design project on Fibonacci and came across this site. I would be very interested to see what you have knitted if you are able to scan it in at all....I was really interested in your ideas. You have spurred me on to try a fibonacci knit! I particularly liked the images posted by

Doron and may follow up those ideas. I will be in touch again if successful.

Gillian