Science Forums

Earth's Oxygen Core

The availability of surface water on the earth is a strong argument against the earth having an iron core. The critical state of water, hydraulic pressure and mantle heat, will allow critical water to dissolve a path and reach the mantle. The hydrogen within the outer mantle water will diffuse to the core, using the oxygen plasma that is continuous to the core, causing core corrosion. The iron has plenty of electrons to share and lose. This implies that the ocean levels should be dropping. The oceans are not dropping and have not dropped, suggesting that there is not an iron core.

Conversely, if the earth was a ball of plasma in its earliest stage, too hot to have a crust, the suface water should have been intimately mingled with the iron since they were both plasma. The currently assumed existance of oxygen being a major player in the mantle shows this early connection. The idea of a phase separation due to density differnece has no proof. Water and iron make rust. For iron to separate out and retain electrons implies that a powerful oxidation potential would have to been created to maintain electrochemical balance. Something 1000 times larger than the oceans. The oxygen in the atmosphere can only account for a tiny fraction of such a potential. This chemical potential would have slowly reversed with an oxidation of the core. But the ocean levels are not dropping.

If the earth does not contain an iron core than what. The most reasonable is a solid oxygen core. Oxygen's high electronegativity, allowing it to form anion, allows core oxygen to retain neutrality and/or retain some extra electrons. The latter will create a smaller oxidation potential from the core all the way to the surface. The magnetic field between the poles probably exist because of ice. Ice has a lower oxidation potential than liquid water. This allows the core to see a different potential coming from the poles than the equator.

I am aware of the solid core. I have no problem with that. Solid oxygen plasma is not out of the question. Does iron core theory have any proof that iron/nickel metals can phase separate from oxygen? Without that proof they are in the same boat as me. Another difference is the iron core premise requires a mechanism for establihsing and maintaining an electro-chemical potential in a phenomena that is 1000 time larger than the oceans. How is this potential maintained with all the oxygen in the mantle? It would also imply a powerful reduction potential coming from the core to the puny surface. If we had no sun and reduced carbon compounds, i.e., oil oceans, were everywhere I would go alone. But the observation of a net surface oxidation potential precludes such a reduced metallic structure. The incombant theory needs to play by the same rules of proof, unless it is religious dogma that is beyond question.