Science Forums

Fusion Powered Hypersonic Missiles For Traveling At 67,000 mph

There has been a great deal of talk about hypersonic missiles lately in the news with Russia making a rocket that could travel 27 times the speed of sound, what if I were to tell you that is still very slow compared to other technologies that could be used to accelerate the rockets. What I propose is we take the learning that has happened in space flight with the creation of fusion powered rockets and apply this to today's Hypersonic rockets, it has been said that Fusion powered rockets can take humans from Earth to Mars in 30 days at a very fast speed of 67,000 mph. The Question I have is why isn't this technology being applied to Hypersonic Rockets down on Earth at those speeds you could make a trip around the world in 22 minutes. If the NASA designs for Fusion powered spacecraft are applied to weapons development by the Air Force or Military then you could see speeds of up to 87 times the speed of sound far passing current technology. The Future of spacecraft propulsion is Directed Fusion Drive (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Fusion_Drive) and Ion Thrusters (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster) shouldn't advanced weaponry reflect that we are in the space age.

impatientasp.jpg

PFRC-2-pulse.jpg

Edited by Vmedvil5

One good reason why this technology is not being applied to Hypersonic Rockets down on Earth, is that there is no such technology! At least, not yet. Certainly, a Fusion Drive Rocket (FDR) is a hypothetical technology, that NASA and NASA contractors have been working on for at least a decade, but up until now there is still no workable model. Maybe once we have a working FDR, we can bring that technology down to Earth and have Fusion Drive Missiles; but we need to first show that we can make this technology work in a rocket.

Some of the problems the engineers and scientists face are detailed in this paper, from 2012. There really hasn't been any significant progress since then that I have seen.