Science Forums

Separation

JGGAGE

I also need to seperate sand from the mixture, and filtering wont work because even though Potassium Nitrate is 100% soluble in the same amount of water heated to 60 degress celsius, sodium chloride is only 38% soluble so some salt would still be left in the filter with the sand.

I love it when I see people who believe they know everything. Which is someone like you Uncle Al. I asked for help with something, no matter what it is, and I didnt want you to define homework for me because Im pretty sure that most people know what it is. If you dont want to help, then dont post.At all.

What kind of yield and purity and yield do you want? Lower the temp to get more salt to precipitate. Check the solubility curve to find the lowest temp where KNO3 remains 100% solubile. Filter to get sand and salt. Wash the sand until all the salt dissolves and then pour off the liquid for evaporation. You will get fairly pure NaCl, but the KNO3 is still not very pure.

I would evaporate some of the water from the KNO3 filtrate and then add HCl. This will kick off the NO3 as NO2 which you can scrub with water to make nitric acid. Next neutralize the KCl, NaCl , HCL solution with KOH. Run the solution through a cation exchange resin this will take out the K+ and Na+. Since the Na+ has a larger hydration sphere than K+ you could use a specialize reverse osmosis membrane to the separate the cations. Mix the pure K with the pure NO3.

I love it when I see people who believe they know everything. Which is someone like you Uncle Al. I asked for help with something, no matter what it is, and I didnt want you to define homework for me because Im pretty sure that most people know what it is. If you dont want to help, then dont post.At all.

Answer the question: Why would you not obtain sodium nitrate and potassium chloride? As opposed to sodium chloride and potassium nitrate? As opposed to a mixture of everything?

You are given the same homework problems students have been given for years and years. The answer is not important, it is the process. You haven't learned anything. You remain ignorant and unable to rise above your ignorance. Save the drama for your mama; get down and PUSH.

Uncle Al doesn't know everything, Uncle Al knows where to look to find everything. This is often a useful talent. Contractions contain apostrophes. If you cannot write a paragraph folks will suspect you can't think one, either. Uncle Al's American Chemical Society membership card says "30 years of service." Add in 20 years of formal education and the occasional journal read. How long has your teacher been a degreed chemist?

• 3 months later...

Yeah, well I know its been awhile but im gonna reply to the last post here. First of all I would like to say that I find it insulting that Uncle Al would comment on my grammar usage, when most people do not pay much attention to writing on the internet because usually it is not formal. I am quite sure that you, Uncle Al, are much smarter than my chemistry teacher. She was little to no help with the experiment which is why I came here. I would like to thank you for calling me ignorant, but as I said I was only looking for a little help. It would have been much better if you didnt really want to help, to not post at all.

There is the old cliché, give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for life. [i quite like the Terry Pratchet version: [color=blue]Give a man a fire and he is warm for an hour, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.][/color]

Consider this: Uncle Al has taken the time - his time; irreplaceable time - to offer you advice. True, he has done it in a vigorous way, but that does not stop it being advice.

He has offered specific advice, "Why would you not obtain sodium nitrate and potassium chloride?" in the form of a question designed to focus your attention.

He has offered generic advice, "Uncle Al doesn't know everything, Uncle Al knows where to look to find everything." Somewhat cryptic? Perhaps, but that in itself says Uncle Al is according you considerable respect. He knows you are ignorant - you have declared as much yourself - but he credits you with the ability to extract his advice from his post.

In summary, your criticism of him seems misapplied.

Besides, the old fart has clearly retired and is unaccustomed to not having minions to push around and do his bidding. Being acerbic on forums lets him recapture some of his former glory. :evil: Cut him some slack.

Finally,

First of all I would like to say that I find it insulting that Uncle Al would comment on my grammar usage, when most people do not pay much attention to writing on the internet because usually it is not formal
Most people are assholes. Do you want to be an *******?