Science Forums

Pre-question re: novel expansion and contraction universe hypothesis (Crackpot Theory)

As this is to be my first post on these forums I will introduce myself foremost, and explain what I'm doing. You can skip directly to my question below if you don't want to read my introduction.

Introduction:

Please note first that I am neither a science student nor practicing scientist, just a lay autodidactist who has studied a broad range of subjects over many years, with my personal further study programme taking in educational improvements and mental reasoning refinements having been directed by myself, so regrettably I am left without any official higher qualification. Though I can only handle some limited mathematics, as I prefer to engage in language only based discourse, I do still have a good working ability to deductively solve logic and semantic problems, and I also do possess a good degree of physics and engineering language skills together with a reasonable above average level of understanding of these subject matters, at least just good enough for me to get by on.

I am currently researching my book which is to be a diverse fusion of theological, mythological, social, moral and natural history bound together and backed up with some modern scientific theories and logical analyses, the conclusions of which I have reasoned may very well explain quite a few odd things and perhaps settle and put an end to some of those rather stupid theological man-made misunderstandings of ancient texts and myths that would seem to have crept in over the past several millennia. A lot of these really quite explainable semantic misunderstandings would seem to have often been derived from what would appear to me to be obviously inaccurate textual recordings of the day, which can very easily be attributed to ‘human error’. Also there have been some considerable losses of fidelity and added obfuscation accumulated over great long periods of time due to some stories having been passed down over multiple generations via word of mouth, prior to the beginning of recorded human history and civilisation. These stories that were most likely originally based on reality but now have become generally considered by many as entirely fictional mythologies do actually still carry some factual weight, but only when reinterpreted and decodified correctly and accurately can they be better understood by the more rational of us, which I consider to be one of the primary purposes and functions of my book.

I first attempted to post my hypothesis on the Physics Forums, but the moderator removed my post because it did not conform to their guidelines being a personal theory and having no scientific references or published papers or articles to back it up with. I asked the moderator if he could recommend anywhere else on the internet where I could post my idea for rational discussion and he suggested that this forum and sub forum would be a good start. I am quite content with my hypothesis being referred to as a crackpot theory, I don’t find that insulting because I realise that it’s a perfectly rational description, given that I have no formal physics training and that my idea most likely goes against the grain of regular cosmology and physics, and may even be very easily provable as wrong. But given that my book is not meant as a cosmology or physics book and is mainly concerned with other matters it may not be a problem if my view of the universe is considered to be in ‘crackpot’ territory, because there are plenty of books that get published out there that have plenty of crackpot theories in them, for example Zachariah Sitchen to name but one author.

So before I post my ‘wacky’ hypothesis for people to laugh at (or if it is to be considered science fiction, and you like sci-fi, you may still enjoy reading it), which I already know is going to be considered pretty crazy, I just want to ask one single question to see what people think first:

Question (Skip to):

What I am mainly interested in is determining whether anyone else is willing to entertain the notion that at the beginning of the universe the matter and antimatter split up and went entirely separate ways in opposing directions, and that we simply can't observe the antimatter half of the universe because photons and anti-photons when they meet may just quietly cancel each other out, without any observable reaction, the same as any other form of radiation and anti-radiation might do.

Is there anyone else who believes this may be physically possible first of all? I know that photons can be considered as particles as well as waves, and I know that we do have anti-neutrinos in our matter-based universe, and that given that they can possess some very limited mass will still annihilate any neutrino that they come into contact with, emitting a photon. So would any radiation derived from matter and anti-radiation derived from antimatter also cancel each other out when they meet, but with no observable reaction, given that these things possess no mass? Essentially, is anti-radiation as a concept even feasible? Or is a photon just the same photon, whether it is emitted from matter or antimatter?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks - Si

Edited by silazcarbryck

I just want to add here that I do know something about sonic audio radiation that we also find on the electromagnetic spectrum that would indicate that light waves and anti-light waves would cancel each other out with no observable reaction.

With sound, if I were to take an audio file of lets say a simple sine wave and then create another copy of the sound file that is the inverse of that sine wave, both sound files would sound the same when replayed on my speakers, so they clearly possess the same properties. However if I were then to apply the sum of both these waves superimposed over each other in my audio editor the sine wave and the inverted sine wave would cancel each other out, leaving a file that is flat and outputting zero decibels, with no sound anymore.

I believe the same could be said of light waves, if a light wave were to meet up with its inverted counterpart they too would cancel each other out in a similar way. At least that would be my argument. Still whether or not antimatter will emit anti-radiation is probably not something that anyone knows about because I'm not sure anyone has ever been able to create any antimatter yet to observe if it emits any such anti-radiation, so that's why I posted my question here on this sub-forum.

Edited by silazcarbryck

It was a nice gesture by Physics Forums to send you here, as we always welcome new members, even if they do consider this forum to be a haven for crackpots! (They have their own share of crackpots, even among their staff,  but will never admit it!)😈

Yes, we allow “crackpot theories” to be presented and discussed, up to a point. If the proponent is absolutely sure he is right and won’t listen to established counter arguments, and (worst of all) becomes insulting when corrected, then the discussion ends and the crackpot theory gets the treatment it deserves, and gets sent to our Silly Claims Forum.

So, go ahead and present your theory as well as you can, remembering to be courteous and willing to be corrected, if necessary.

For starters, I will tell you that in established Physics, there is no such thing as an anti-photon since all photons carry positive energy. Therefore, if two photons should interact (interfere with one another) annihilation cannot take place, because of the conservation of energy.

Perhaps the photons would cease to exist (doubtful) but because of conservation of energy, other particles would need to be created in their place. This is not annihilation, just a change of structure.

Anyway, as I said, you are free to discuss your “crackpot theory” here.

By the way, welcome to Hypography Science Forums and I hope you have fun discussing your ideas here.

Hello Ocean,

Yes don't worry my crazy theory is absolutely in need of corrections, and I really don't consider it much more than science fiction at present. I am very much in search of criticism, which is why I found my way here.

Regarding all photons carrying positive energy, is it absolutely impossible for a photon to carry negative energy yet still retain the same characteristics? Because my idea of there being an antimatter half of the universe to be in existence does absolutely rely on us not being able to observe it. So the idea of radiation being cancelled out by anti-radiation is very much key to it being possible and the whole thing totally hinges on this. If we know with absolute certainty that a negatively charged photon that could be emitted by antimatter is not possible, then it means that my collapsing dual matter/antimatter universe hypothesis totally collapses and the first chapter of my book is simply not worth writing.

But if we can't completely rule out the possibility of there being a form of anti-radiation, then it means I can go ahead and write my chapter anyway safe in the knowledge that it is still possible and not competely impossible even if there is no way to prove it conclusively.

Thanks -Si

Edited by silazcarbryck

4 hours ago, silazcarbryck said:

What I am mainly interested in is determining whether anyone else is willing to entertain the notion that at the beginning of the universe the matter and antimatter split up and went entirely separate ways in opposing directions, and that we simply can't observe the antimatter half of the universe because photons and anti-photons when they meet may just quietly cancel each other out, without any observable reaction, the same as any other form of radiation and anti-radiation might do.

Is there anyone else who believes this may be physically possible first of all? I know that photons can be considered as particles as well as waves, and I know that we do have anti-neutrinos in our matter-based universe, and that given that they can possess some very limited mass will still annihilate any neutrino that they come into contact with, emitting a photon. So would any radiation derived from matter and anti-radiation derived from antimatter also cancel each other out when they meet, but with no observable reaction, given that these things possess no mass? Essentially, is anti-radiation as a concept even feasible? Or is a photon just the same photon, whether it is emitted from matter or antimatter?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks - Si

Great question Thanks for posting it.

I believe the concept you propose of a matter universe having an antimatter counterpart is possible. The best evidence I could come up with is below:

In 1928, British physicist Paul Dirac (1902-1984) wrote down an equation that combined quantum theory and special relativity to describe the behaviour of an electron moving at a relativistic speed. Just as the equation x2 = 4 can have two possible solutions (x = 2 or x = −2), so Dirac's equation could have two solutions, one for an electron with positive energy, and one for an electron with negative energy. The energy released in matter – antimatter annihilation is extreme (enough to power a starship?).

REF  https://home.cern/science/physics/antimatter

In 1930 Wolfgang Pauli proposed when Beta particle is emitted by a radioactive nucleus the unaccounted for energy released is carried away by an unaccounted for particle. In 1956 the neutrino / antimatter neutrino was discovered to be the unaccounted particle while observing the decay of Thorium.

REF: https://www.radioactivity.eu.com/site/pages/Neutrino_Discovery.htm#:~:text=When%20in%201956%2C%20two%20Am%C3%A9ricans,it%20was%20considered%20%22undetectable%22.&text=Reines%20and%20Cowan%20started%20their,at%20Hanford%20in%20Washington%20State.

In September 1995, Prof. Walter Oelert and an international team from Jülich IKP-KFA, Erlangen-Nuernberg University, GSI Darmstadt and Genoa University succeeded for the first time in synthesising atoms of antimatter from their constituent antiparticles. 

REF https://home.cern/news/press-release/cern/first-atoms-antimatter-produced-cern

I hope this is useful.

12 minutes ago, spartan45 said:

In September 1995, Prof. Walter Oelert and an international team from Jülich IKP-KFA, Erlangen-Nuernberg University, GSI Darmstadt and Genoa University succeeded for the first time in synthesising atoms of antimatter from their constituent antiparticles. 

REF https://home.cern/news/press-release/cern/first-atoms-antimatter-produced-cern

That's awesome! I really wasn't aware that anyone had actually managed to create any antimatter in a lab yet. But it doesn't seem that with the very small amount made back then and the very limited time that it existed that any radiation from it could be observed. The radiation really does need to be distinctly anti-radiation for my crazy theory to work and also we need to believe that anti-radiation will cancel out radiation for the two to be neutralized when they come into contact with no observable evidence left over.

I'm going to post my crazy sci-fi theory here on this forum now anyway. It is quite detailed, and there is a lot of geometry to visualise, and I'm hoping that my language is sufficient for people to be able to visualise its geometry. So its basically a verbal only description and model and there is little to no mathematical description as maths is simply not my strong point. Also I have to admit that my understading of entropy is also rather lacklustre, I've probably got that very wrong. But I need critisism from more academic people so that I can modify the hypothesis accordingly, or simply dispense with it altogether if the consesus is that it's just pure sci-fi.

Thanks - Si