Science Forums

Nuclear Reheat And Mars Terraformation

Vmedvil2

Today, I am going to be tackling the Transformation of Mars into a Earth-like planet from a Barren planet to make humans a second home. First, we must know a little about Mars before we can transform Mars from a Barren planet to a Earth-like one.

First to Terraform Mars we need to generate a Magnetic field over millions and billions of years Mars has been cooling down, This has caused the Magnetic field of mars to collapse, Mars once had a stable magnetic field that protected it from Solar winds from the sun but no longer has a stable magnetic field. Mars has been losing Atmosphere every time there has been a Solar Wind for millions of years. Secondly, the temperature of mars has been steadily decreasing from the lack of greenhouse effect the temperature of Mars is quite cold mainly around - 70 C ish, so we need to Nuclear Reheat the planet, which means like in the Movie "The Core" we need to detonate nuclear bombs in the core of the planet to restart the magnetic field and reheat the planet, which could require thousands of Hydrogen Bombs in the core of the planet, a drilling team is needed to drill down to the core of the planet and plant the nuclear devices, which can be from Nuclear weapons that are apart of disarmament rather than dismantling the nuclear weapons in nuclear disarmament treaties they can be used for a Mars Nuclear Reheat, which would benefit the Human Species. This would be better than wasting the Nuclear weapon by dismantling it, After all of this has been done detonation of thousands of nuclear weapons needs to happen like in the Movie "The Core" in Mars.

Next after the nuclear reheat the Magnetic field will be reestablished which will allow Mars to hold Atmosphere again and temperatures will rise between 10 C to 20 C on Mars after this one of the moons of Mars needs to be smashed into Mars to melt the Ice of Mars to create liquid water on the surface of Mars, The location that the moon of Mars needs to be launched into is the North pole which has large amounts of frozen water. This will release water vapor and Carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and also increase the temperature of the planet by quite a bit which is good, Mars is slowly being reheated and able to support life soon after the moon is crashed into Mars, The increased Gas in the atmosphere will also start to generate a greenhouse effect allowing Mars to also keep heat from these events on the planet with the Magnetic field intact. The moon can be knocked out of orbit and redirected toward Mars's North Pole with nuclear weapons as well.

The Last step is just putting life on this planet with temperatures at around -20 C after the two events before this text. All that needs to be done is Photosynthetic cryophilic bacteria released on Mars which are "Cold loving" Bacteria that are photosynthetic which can survive in the temperatures between -20 C to 10 C which can be genetically modified to survive in lower temperatures which via photosynthesis will slowly turn the CO2 in the atmosphere into O2. The Bacteria used can be a Genetically modified Ice Algae that has a over-expressed Cold Shock resistance genes Transforming the 95% CO2 content of the atmosphere into O2.

This will start the life process on Mars, later trees that can survive in higher but still cold temperatures can be planted on the planet after the greenhouse effect has warmed up the planet slowly Mars will become a Earth-like planet from its original Frozen Barren planet state.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 3:12 PM, Vmedvil2 said:

First to Terraform Mars we need to generate a Magnetic field over millions and billions of years Mars has been cooling down, This has caused the Magnetic field of mars to collapse, Mars once had a stable magnetic field that protected it from Solar winds from the sun but no longer has a stable magnetic field. Mars has been losing Atmosphere every time there has been a Solar Wind for millions of years.

I think perhaps most people have been led to believe that the Earth’s Magnetic field is important for protection against the Sun’s radiation. As far as I can tell, the magnetic field neither protects the atmosphere from the solar wind or life from the Sun’s radiation. The Guardian against dangerous UV rays from the Sun is the Ozone layer, while the whole atmosphere protects against the highly energetic cosmic rays from outside the Solar system.

With respect to Mars; I wouldn’t be surprised if a comet scarred the Martian surface and took much of the atmosphere with it – not the solar wind. In fact the Solar wind appears to help protect the Solar system from dangerous highly energetic cosmic Rays from outside the Solar system.

Extract from a study:

South At­lantic Anoma­ly does not cause ad­di­tion­al ra­di­a­tion ex­po­sure at flight al­ti­tudes

Deutsches Zentrumfür Luft- und RaumfahrtGerman Aerospace Center 14. April 2021

At present, the Sun is very active – a surface covered with sunspots, frequent ejections of matter and a stronger solar wind blowing towards Earth. In the meantime, however, radiation exposure at aircraft cruising altitudes has reduced. This interesting phenomenon has now been confirmed by researchers at the German Aerospace Center (Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt; DLR) using the Falcon research aircraft.

Solar activity nearing a maximum The solar wind itself does not contribute to the radiation field at cruising altitudes, since the particles from the Sun are generally too low in energy to penetrate deeply enough into the atmosphere.

High-energy cosmic rays, however, interact with air molecules in the upper layers of the atmosphere, high above the usual flight corridors, which are at an altitude of about 10 kilometres. "These interactions produce secondary particles, and using our detectors we can observe their interaction with matter," adds Meier. In May 2013, the DLR Falcon flew over Bavaria and southern Norway.

REF:  https://www.dlr.de/content/en/articles/news/2021/02/20210414_dlr-measurement-campaign-on-non-stop-flight-to-the-falkland-islands.html  

Venus does not have a Magnetic field and yet has an extremely thick atmosphere. Could we live in its upper atmosphere?

Extract from Wikipedia:

Unlike Earth, Venus lacks a magnetic field. It’s speculated that the atmosphere of Venus up to around 4 billion years ago was more like that of the Earth with liquid water on the surface. A runaway greenhouse effect may have been caused by the evaporation of the surface water and subsequent rise of the levels of other greenhouse gases.

Despite the harsh conditions on the surface, the atmospheric pressure and temperature at about 50 km to 65 km above the surface of the planet is nearly the same as that of the Earth, making its upper atmosphere the most Earth-like area in the Solar System, even more so than the surface of Mars. Due to the similarity in pressure and temperature and the fact that breathable air (21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen) is a lifting gas on Venus in the same way that helium is a lifting gas on Earth, the upper atmosphere has been proposed as a location for both exploration and colonization.

REF:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Venus#:~:text=Venus%20is%20known%20not%20to,carried%20by%20the%20solar%20wind

On 2/20/2022 at 10:00 PM, Vmedvil2 said:

Which a added point from billvon was it may require literally trillions of 25 MT nuclear warheads to actually terraform Mars so it maybe requires to change Mars for humans to build them on a massive scale.

There may be a much easier way, which NASA is already at work on.

NASA scientists have proposed a bold plan that could give Mars its atmosphere back and make the Red Planet habitable for future generations of human colonists. 

By launching a giant magnetic shield into space to protect Mars from solar winds, the space agency says we could restore the Red Planet's atmosphere, and terraform the Martian environment so that liquid water flows on the surface once again.

5d5b6fb45615bf9b.jpg

15 hours ago, spartan45 said:

I think perhaps most people have been led to believe that the Earth’s Magnetic field is important for protection against the Sun’s radiation. As far as I can tell, the magnetic field neither protects the atmosphere from the solar wind or life from the Sun’s radiation. The Guardian against dangerous UV rays from the Sun is the Ozone layer, while the whole atmosphere protects against the highly energetic cosmic rays from outside the Solar system.

You are only partially right. Indeed, it is the Ozone layer which protects us from the dangerous UV rays from the Sun. However, people who say that it is Earth’s Magnetic field which protects against the Sun’s radiation, are 100% correct!

Without the Earth’s Magnetic field, there would be NO Ozone layer!

Importance of Earth´s magnetic field

The Earth´s magnetic field is important for all forms of life on the planet.  Life on Earth is significantly protected by the natural shield created by the magnetic field. The magnetic field protects the Earth from highly charged particles (solar wind) from the sun. Without the magnetic field, most of the ozone gas, which protects the earth from harmful UV radiation, would be depleted away from the atmosphere. The magnetosphere extends for approximately 10 times the radius of the Earth.

9 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

The Earth´s magnetic field is important for all forms of life on the planet.  Life on Earth is significantly protected by the natural shield created by the magnetic field. The magnetic field protects the Earth from highly charged particles (solar wind) from the sun. Without the magnetic field, most of the ozone gas, which protects the earth from harmful UV radiation, would be depleted away from the atmosphere. The magnetosphere extends for approximately 10 times the radius of the Earth.

I have been unable to find any reference to the idea that the Solar wind can harm the Ozone layer.

Ask Google ‘what protects the ozone layer’

Answers = reduce CFCs.

Ask Google ‘Effects of the solar wind’

Notice how the top result from NASA Science uses the term ‘magnetic protection’ but imho this is actually referring to the disruption caused by the Sun’s magnetic field and has nothing to do with protecting the Ozone layer, or the stripping of our atmosphere. Extract from NASA SCIENCE:

‘In some cases it can also set off space weather storms that disrupt everything from our satellites in space, to ship communications on our oceans, to power grids on land’. Nicky Fox is the division director for heliophysics at NASA Headquarters. She explains in more detail how the solar wind disrupts our magnetosphere: “As the wind flows toward Earth, it carries with it the Sun’s magnetic field. It moves very fast, then smacks right into Earth’s magnetic field. The blow causes a shock to our magnetic protection, which can result in turbulence.” 

REF:

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/news-articles/effects-of-the-solar-wind

To be fair, there is a very recent article (new a few hours ago) which imho seems to promote the idea of a magnetic field protecting water ice from the Solar wind. Extract below:  

Ancient magnetic fields on the Moon could be protecting precious ice Fields in permanently shadowed craters may shield ice from solar wind

17 MAR 2022 12:50 PM

REF:

https://www.science.org/content/article/ancient-magnetic-fields-moon-could-be-protecting-precious-ice

On 3/18/2022 at 4:46 AM, spartan45 said:

I have been unable to find any reference to the idea that the Solar wind can harm the Ozone layer.

Seriously?

I gave you a link in my post: Importance of Earths Magnetic Field | Actforlibraries.org

Here is another one: Interaction between magnetic fields of Earth and sun observed | Editage Insights

Earth’s magnetic field protects the planet’s atmosphere from the solar wind, which consists of charged particles released by the sun’s magnetic field. 

I am sure I can find many more.

I first learned about this in Physics class many years ago. I doubt very much the theory has changed.

On 3/19/2022 at 10:46 AM, OceanBreeze said:

Seriously?

I gave you a link in my post: Importance of Earths Magnetic Field | Actforlibraries.org

Here is another one: Interaction between magnetic fields of Earth and sun observed | Editage Insights

Earth’s magnetic field protects the planet’s atmosphere from the solar wind, which consists of charged particles released by the sun’s magnetic field. 

I am sure I can find many more.

I first learned about this in Physics class many years ago. I doubt very much the theory has changed.

Apologies – I overlooked it! But having read it I am far from convinced because it simply gives an opinion as to what would happen to the ozone layer with no proof (Extract 1). When it states Venus has no magnetic field, it does not mention the thick atmosphere there (Extract2).

Extract 1: ‘The magnetic field protects the Earth from highly charged particl.es (solar wind) from the sun. Without the magnetic field, most of the ozone gas, which protects the earth from harmful UV radiation, would be depleted away from the atmosphere’.(http://www.actforlibraries.org/importance-of-earths-magnetic-field)

Extract 2: ‘Planet Venus, which has a core similar to Earth, lacks a magnetic field, supposedly due to its slow period of rotation (243 days)’. (http://www.actforlibraries.org/importance-of-earths-magnetic-field )

It is my view that that because the ozone layer exists in the lower level of the stratosphere so has 25 Km of the stratosphere and the 245Km of ionosphere above to protect it, that it is well protected against the solar wind. See below:

Extract from: (Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs)

What is Stratospheric Ozone?

90% of the planet's ozone is in the "ozone layer" which exists in the lower level (20-25 kilometres above sea level) of the stratosphere.

The stratosphere is the region of the atmosphere which exists between 10 and 50 kilometres above the surface of the earth. Solar wavelengths in the ultraviolet range (180-240 nanometers) are absorbed by and break apart oxygen molecules (which are made of two oxygen atoms). Some of the resulting unattached pairs of oxygen atoms then recombine into triplets to form ozone. A different range of wavelengths of ultraviolet (290-300 nm) are strongly absorbed by ozone, which breaks down as a result and reforms into molecular oxygen again.

REF: https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/research/ozone-uv/ozone-concerns

I too first learned about how the Earth's magnetic shield was vital for life in Physics class many years ago. I no longer have that view because of the thick atmosphere of Venus (which has no magnetic field and is closer to the Sun) and other things that have come to light.

Extract (from editage):

‘Earth’s magnetic field protects the planet’s atmosphere from the solar wind, which consists of charged particles released by the sun’s magnetic field’.

Again, I’m not sure I agree with the opinion above.

It seems whenever an article is published involving ‘Earth’s magnetic shield’ or Venus’ lack of one the words similar to ‘mystery’ ‘theory’ ‘strange’ etc. is used.

Extract from: Venus' missing water is a planetary mystery (nbcnews):

The water in Venus' atmosphere is gone with the wind, new detections suggest. This absence is strange, because astronomers think Venus and Earth likely began with similar amounts of water since they are about the same size and formed at the same time.

REF: https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna28507783

Below is a recent article (extract) from NASA, stating both Mars & Earth are exposed to the full force of the Sun, making no reference to the ‘Earth’s magnetic shield.’

Extract (nasa.gov 😞

Heat and Dust Help Launch Martian Water into Space, Scientists Find (Nov 13, 2020)

“Everything that makes it up to the higher part of the atmosphere is destroyed, on Mars or on Earth,” Stone said, “because this is the part of the atmosphere that is exposed to the full force of the Sun.”

REF https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2020/heat-and-dust-help-launch-martian-water-into-space-scientists-find

To sum up, I could be wrong about Earth’s magnetic shield not being vital to the protection of the ozone layer and the atmosphere, but then, I remember main steam science stating for years there was no water on the Moon. Now ask google ‘who discovered water on moon?’ to find India’s first ever space probe discovered water on the Moon in 2008!  

That’s OK mate. We can agree to disagree on this one because even the researchers with the PhD behind their names don’t quite understand it very well either.

I do like the idea of the induced magnetosphere protecting the atmosphere from the solar wind by creating bow shock around the planet Venus. It is a case of the Solar wind creating the conditions to protect the atmosphere of Venus from the Solar wind!

No magnetosphere of Venus

The planet Venus is called the sister planet of Earth because it resembles Earth in many properties like size and structure. But there are lots of differences between these planets like the denser atmosphere of the planet Venus and much higher atmospheric pressure. The planet Venus does not have planetary magnetosphere like Earth. Earth has molten metals inside the core which causes dynamo effect due to rotation of Earth and generates the magnetic field around planet Earth. The planet Venus rotates on its axis very slowly which is not enough to generate the magnetic field around the planet. As a result, the planet does not have any magnetosphere around it.

Feature-of-induced-magnetosphere.gif

Interaction of solar wind with atmosphere of Venus

“Due to the absence of a magnetosphere, the solar wind directly interacts with the atmosphere. On interaction with the molecule of atmosphere, the electric field of charged particles causes the breaking of bonds and ionization in the upper layers of the atmosphere. The ion of atmosphere makes ionosphere of Venus, they align them according to the electric field of solar wind. The alignment of these dipoles creates the magnetic field around the planet which is called induced magnetosphere

I wasn’t aware of this before so I learned something from our discussion, which is the whole point of having a discussion in the first place!

Cheers!