Science Forums

Would throwing various members of the American populous into fallout shelters help alleviate SARS-CoV-2?

8 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

You need to be careful with excess deaths data because the population is growing and there will always be more deaths in the following year. I made a post on this subject after doing some research on how excess deaths are calculated by the CDC.

Sure one can criticize the details. Excess deaths is broad-brush but it solidly confirms a steep rise in death rate coincident with this pandemic. Data is gathering daily, treatments are developing daily and virus is evolving daily. We'll see what happens.

8 hours ago, VictorMedvil said:

Ocean, I know you are government but when I say government I mean our politicians not the hard working underlings of the government that have to fix all the mistakes our politicians make. I do not envy the jobs of the underlings of the government it must be a literal nightmare.

Yes, but your post was made in response to mine, wasn't it?

6 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

Yes, but your post was made in response to mine, wasn't it?

Well no, I was just in general addressing how stupid this thread is about locking people away in fallout shelters for the entire pandemic and that our politicians would probably do it since they have about the IQ of a turnip.

Edited by VictorMedvil

On 1/13/2022 at 10:46 AM, VictorMedvil said:

Well no, I was just in general addressing how stupid this thread is about locking people away in fallout shelters for the entire pandemic and that our politicians would probably do it since they have about the IQ of a turnip.

No, it's about temporary placing people in shelters. A difference between incarceration (jail/prison) vs. the proposed nuclear fallout shelter option is that the jail/prisoner incarceration is a type of punishment that leads to an injury; in contrast, the fallout shelter would be like an all-expenses-paid, get-well clinic.

Nonetheless, it appears to me the issue is more of a "last resort," so let's keep it in consideration in case things get exponentially bad much faster, which I doubt because of the new thread I'm thinking of creating here quite shortly.

Edited by dennisfrancisblewett

In response to my last post in this thread, I think the use of the nuclear fallout shelters does not necessarily need to be a last resort. It may be used right now, actually. And I think it would be a very effective measure against SARS-CoV-2. 

Attached are images related to an Electronic Freedom of Information Act request that I recently did.

According to (3), “…by 1963, 104 million individual shelter spaces had been identified; … and of those 47 million had been licensed, 46 million marked, and 9 million individual spaces had been stocked with supplies…”

"(3)" / source in images: “Civil Defense and Homeland Security: A Short History of National Preparedness Efforts.” <https://training.fema.gov/hiedu/docs/dhs%20civil%20defense-hs%20-%20short%20history.pdf> Accessed: January 14th, 2022.

FEMA-shelter-list-request (Page 1).jpg

FEMA-shelter-list-request (Page 2).jpg