Science Forums

NASA's Venus Colony Plans Video

Vmedvil2

On 6/29/2021 at 7:33 PM, VictorMedvil said:

This is a video about the possibility of colonization of Venus put forward by NASA.

The idea colonizing Venus is completely useless idea. Even more useless than colonizing Mars. Venus environment is even more harsh than environment on Mars which will we should understand that the life of human beings will be changed completely as a result of the harsh environment of Venus and will not be the same as we have on Earth.

Colonizing Venus makes no sense whatsoever. Who wants to live in a flotilla above a totally inhospitable environment? I mean if it were the only option for survival then yes, otherwise not worth it. Also completely unworkable from a colonization perspective. To be a colony it needs to have a significant if not total ability to be independent. There is no way that some flotilla in the atmosphere of Venus can supply its own raw material needs for manufacturing as mining the surface of Venus would be well beyond what a flotilla environment could manage. Perhaps might be feasible and reasonable for NASA or the like to put a floating research station there with rotating crews and regular supply runs, but that would be about it. IMO NASA puts out silly things like this just to keep the public's interest in space so they can continue to get funding. All pipe dream nonsense, but it captures the public's imagination.

15 hours ago, bearnard55 said:

Colonizing Venus makes no sense whatsoever. Who wants to live in a flotilla above a totally inhospitable environment? I mean if it were the only option for survival then yes, otherwise not worth it. Also completely unworkable from a colonization perspective. To be a colony it needs to have a significant if not total ability to be independent. There is no way that some flotilla in the atmosphere of Venus can supply its own raw material needs for manufacturing as mining the surface of Venus would be well beyond what a flotilla environment could manage. Perhaps might be feasible and reasonable for NASA or the like to put a floating research station there with rotating crews and regular supply runs, but that would be about it. IMO NASA puts out silly things like this just to keep the public's interest in space so they can continue to get funding. All pipe dream nonsense, but it captures the public's imagination.

Well, I think it would be awesome if they could put a space station in orbit around Venus, however I don't think that Venus is the most suited for human colonization.

8 hours ago, VictorMedvil said:

Well, I think it would be awesome if they could put a space station in orbit around Venus, however I don't think that Venus is the most suited for human colonization.

Yeah, I agree with you. I like the point with a space station in orbit of Venus. But you must understand that it will take scientists decades to invent appropriate technology that will allow us building and sending a space station to the orbit of Venus.

9 hours ago, bearnard55 said:

Yeah, I agree with you. I like the point with a space station in orbit of Venus. But you must understand that it will take scientists decades to invent appropriate technology that will allow us building and sending a space station to the orbit of Venus.

That technology is already here just put a space station like the International Space Station in orbit, we have satellites just take a ship with a satellite there. 

"According to Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), which keeps a record of the operational satellites, there are 6,542 satellites, out of which 3,372 satellites are active and 3,170 satellites are inactive, as recorded by 1st January, 2021."

Edited by VictorMedvil

14 hours ago, VictorMedvil said:

That technology is already here just put a space station like the International Space Station in orbit, we have satellites just take a ship with a satellite there. 

"According to Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), which keeps a record of the operational satellites, there are 6,542 satellites, out of which 3,372 satellites are active and 3,170 satellites are inactive, as recorded by 1st January, 2021."

It would be really problematic to deliver this space station to the orbit of Venus. It will take much time to invent such technology that will allow us bringing space station there

12 hours ago, bearnard55 said:

It would be really problematic to deliver this space station to the orbit of Venus. It will take much time to invent such technology that will allow us bringing space station there

Well, Thankfully you are a no body and NASA doesn't really care what we think about this issue. They will do whatever they want to do, if they want to put a floating city on Venus that's exactly what they will do. This conversation amounts to a tree falling in the woods, does anyone really care? You and I's opinion doesn't really matter to NASA or the government. You do realize this forum is like the butthole of the science internet.

Edited by VictorMedvil

On 7/7/2021 at 11:51 PM, VictorMedvil said:

Well, Thankfully you are a no body and NASA doesn't really care what we think about this issue. They will do whatever they want to do, if they want to put a floating city on Venus that's exactly what they will do. This conversation amounts to a tree falling in the woods, does anyone really care? You and I's opinion doesn't really matter to NASA or the government. You do realize this forum is like the butthole of the science internet.

I understand it and I agree with you. I am just appalled that scientists instead of making some useful projects they spend money and time on some useless projects like this floating city on Venus  

According to some pieces if information NASA competes for funding with literally thousands of other Federal programs on an annual basis. The US Congress has proven time and again that it cares more about who gets the contract money than it does about the scientific value of a proposed NASA project.

24 minutes ago, bearnard55 said:

According to some pieces if information NASA competes for funding with literally thousands of other Federal programs on an annual basis. The US Congress has proven time and again that it cares more about who gets the contract money than it does about the scientific value of a proposed NASA project.

This is probably true but I think you need to relax on this one man, NASA has set a goal for a Venus Colony which isn't necessarily a bad thing if they pull it off it will be hailed as a stroke of genius but if they fail only will it be a waste of time, let them make their mistake or triumph. It is better than other things they could be doing, Humans destiny is to go to space.

Edited by VictorMedvil

On 7/13/2021 at 11:42 AM, VictorMedvil said:

This is probably true but I think you need to relax on this one man, NASA has set a goal for a Venus Colony which isn't necessarily a bad thing if they pull it off it will be hailed as a stroke of genius but if they fail only will it be a waste of time, let them make their mistake or triumph. It is better than other things they could be doing, Humans destiny is to go to space.

Luckily, NASA finally took part in some important project. The first-ever partnership with ESA of its kind is based on observing Earth and environmental issues. This campaign will be based on observing the Earth from space with the help of satellite technology in order to save the environment on Earth. Such kind of stuff will be observed like coral reefs, glaciers, and other things that are in danger now.