Science Forums

How to capture electrons from photoelectric effect?

I just read that using ultraviolet knocks/strips off atoms of electrons like hydrogen atoms and this process is called the photoelectric effect.

I wish to know what knocked off electrons look like while/after the process
and how do I capture and contain them in a theoretical electron jar.

7 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

I just read that using ultraviolet knocks/strips off atoms of electrons like hydrogen atoms and this process is called the photoelectric effect.

You would need to make a Penning trap(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penning_trap).

The Photoelectric effect looks something like this.

main-qimg-4b72444aebed65558e3ea8f5657f14

solar21.png

Edited by VictorMedvil

On 5/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, DARK0717 said:

Ion traps, including electron traps, are an integral component in mass spectrometry. But the electrons are not really captured and contained for long, as in your theoretical electron jar. Rather, they are released and focused into a beam and passed through a magnetic field to a detector.  The ion’s trajectory through the magnetic field depends on its mass-to-charge ratio. Lighter ions get deflected by the magnetic force more than heavier ions (based on Newton's second law of motion, F = ma). The streams of sorted ions pass from the analyzer to the detector, which records the relative abundance of each ion type. In this way, useful information is obtained about the chemical element composition of the original sample.

390px-Mass_Spectrometer_Schematic.svg.pn

I’m not sure if your theoretical electron jar, while an interesting idea, would serve any useful purpose that I can think of.