Science Forums

Meaning of your life, your thought?

Tim_Lou

Ok, I guess I missed the point.

What is the meaning of my life with respect to my feelings about it? Well, simply put, I adore it. I love it. I love kittens, puppys, plants popping out of the ground in springtime and I love sunshine, fog, rain, and the smell of country air at 05:00 in the morning.

I love the eyes of children and the way they look at something new and how they can sit down naked in the grass and pick up ladybugs and put them in their mouth and not give a damn about anything else in the world.

And I love people like Raymond Smullyan: People who can find joy and even laughter in the most tedious of logic puzzles, people who try to make sense out of the world.

And I love heros, male and female. I love the person who said we start out alone and we end alone. But here for the span of time it takes me to read and write, I am not alone. I am visible or I can contemplate not being invisible.

And I know that there are other people just like me out there because I read what you say and that's why I'm here.

Anyway, that's the meaning of my life.

all you are talking about is rather intuitive and subjective... ain't scientific at all. where's your logic? i don't see the cue. but hey, since it has nothing to do with religion, then there's no problem with it. You just go on and invent all sorts of viewpoints. ah well... the place's not for me

PG, what are you referring to as life here?

commonities doesn't mean that that is the purpose. it is merely acting out the cosmic plan written by the big bang. personally, i don't see a difference between a rock and a dog except for its complex structural organization of matter.and, they are all animate to me.

Doesn't this depend on the definition of 'meaning'?

A footprint in the sand means that something walked on it. The footprint tells me that. It's observable, and to that extent I can say that it is true. So can't I say that the meaning of something is the truth that it imparts to me?

When I look at my life, I see that which allows me to seek the truth. It doesn't matter if I am totally wrong some of the time, I still must attempt to seek the truth. It's my nature, as it is yours. It's built in. The ability to clarify, to see more clearly is also built in.

My thought is the tool I use to identify the truth. It's the tool I use to perceive existence, and without it my life would have no meaning. I am able to perceive things that the 'lower' forms of life cannot see, such as distant galxies, the moons of Saturn, and your thoughts to the extent that you share them here.

Without the ability to perceive, life has no meaning and strictly speaking would not be alive.

So that too is the meaning of my life and my thought.

I have a difficult time defining life, I tried in another thread, and was unable to provide myself with an adequate definition. I do know that my thinking here is circular - I believe that striving to reproduce oneself is a requirement for being life, and that the purpose of life is to reproduce itself. However, I don't think that it is false logic. The a computer is something that computes, and its purpose is to compute. The definition provides the purpose.

Without the ability to perceive, life has no meaning and strictly speaking would not be alive.

Without perception, there would still be life. "Simpler" life, I guess you could call it.

Does anybody think that perception could possibly be a sense that some people are more keen to than others?

Here we get into an argument on what constitutes perception...Is a plant tropism a perceptive act? Does the plant percieve the light and move towards it? It can be explained with chemistry and turgor pressure, but the biology and chemistry of eyesight can be explained as well. Does that negate it as a perceptive act as well? Is the perception in the mental manipulation of the stimuli?

the meaning of my life is always in flux

currently to be an evangelist of HVD, shdtv, and a hdd in every xbox 2.

call me ryan the randy rabble rouser.

your job in life is to find something that keeps your blood hot and to do as much of it as possible!

of course that thing must be productive to society and it helps if you can get paid to do it....

I wonder if humans are transformers of energy ie from a base energy like food to a higher form of energy ie love=heaven creating what some people may call nirvana or whatever terminology you may use in your own particular beliefs.

The downside maybe that it a kind of a race between the people converting energy to higher levels and those converting it to lower levels ie hate= Hell. perhaps the universes future depends on the way we all think .

Perhaps....yeah we really don't know.

But are we really that significant? :)

As far as this Planet goes I'm sure that we are significant, at least the most significant up to this point. We may not have reached our true significance yet because we are still subject to evolution or perhaps decay, with reference to my previous hypothosis.

• 3 months later...

I have found the meaning of life for myself. I think everyone has his/her own goals in life, there are no right ones.

Few years ago I was pondering a lot of these things, well I still am, but I think I've found the balance for myself. And the balance in life is the meaning in life for me. The most important things, which all have as much meaning to me are that I can do something to help to run and build the society I live in, to me it is my job. Second is the love in my life (my girlfriend). And after these my dearest hobbies: Music (playing drums which I've done since I was 10 years old), sports and having good time with friends.

To put it short I think the good goal in life is to enjoy it as much as possible. For me it means that my work, love and hobbies are in balance and I can put my time and effort to these all as equally as I can.

Life is, for me, a confusing place. Somewhere that there are many questions with no answers. Many wonders with many different points of views and concepts. Finding one's own meaning and concept and being comfortable with it, as well as understanding as much of the other points of view and concepts as you can, seems to be becoming my goal for life. I think that everyone’s meaning is obviously different and will never be the same and I think its good like that. Everyone needs different things in life and desires different things. It’s all what we make of it.