Science Forums

Share some interesting facts!

Dubbelosix

I'd like anyone to participate giving fun facts on science, so long as there is no intentional misleading information. I intend to write anything between two and three facts a week. I'll start of with two and hope you will all enjoy in participation.

Fact 1. It's well known from as early as the late 60's that there was strong evidence that space and time, where not just unified as a forth leg of a Pythagorean triangle, but that they are indeed complimentary to each other. When string theory came along, the idea that space and time shared an uncertainty principle was unavoidable from experimentation. 

It has a surprisingly simple construction. If we take g as the metric

g(X):(x,y)
g(X):(y,x) ∈R

Then the metric uncertainty would satisfy

Δx Δy ≥  ℓ(Planck)

Roughly speaking,  the uncertainty on either x or y depends on the information we can extract from the system. Because of this, the uncertainty principle doesn't mean things are random, only that there is a limitation of information we can obtain from complimentary observables.

Fact 2. There are around 3*10^26 particles in the average human brain. There is (give ot take a few powers of ten) Roughly 3*10^80 in the universe . With this in mind, there are more possible combinations of moves on the chess board than there is particles in the universe! The estimated amount of moves is 10^123 possible combinations called the shannon number. As a side note of interesting large numbers, this is still larger than the vaguest discrepancy in physics, called the vacuum energy in which the energy lacks a massive sum of 10^120 magnitudes.

Edited by Dubbelosix

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, that's strange that no one has replied to you because topic is very thrilling and I also would like to share some interesting space facts I'd heard about recently. For example, have you heard that if person finds himself in open space without a spacesuit, he will die not only due to the lack of air but also from the fact that all the water from the body will begin to evaporate. Also I was excited to find out that Italian researchers using Marsis radar have discovered the liquid lake under the ice on Mars. 

I continue to  search about other facts about space and would love to read more here 😊

3 hours ago, SpaceGirl said:

Hey, that's strange that no one has replied to you because topic is very thrilling and I also would like to share some interesting space facts I'd heard about recently. For example, have you heard that if person finds himself in open space without a spacesuit, he will die not only due to the lack of air but also from the fact that all the water from the body will begin to evaporate. Also I was excited to find out that Italian researchers using Marsis radar have discovered the liquid lake under the ice on Mars. 

I continue to  search about other facts about space and would love to read more here 😊

Are you aware of Lake Vostok below the ice in Antartica, that has more meaning to us?

• 4 weeks later...

sure the earliest eukaryotic those , micro-organisms developed from the basic building blocks of life ... which is currently believed as being  implemented aromatic hydrocarbons. Some scientists believe these complex molecules where brought to Earth, a theory known as Panspermia. From these which evolved billions of years ago, came all life, presumingly from even simpler combinations of molecules called Prokaryites. We are thought to have come from this primordial sludge of carbon soup.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 4:32 PM, Dubbelosix said:

sure the earliest eukaryotic those , micro-organisms developed from the basic building blocks of life ... which is currently believed as being  implemented aromatic hydrocarbons. Some scientists believe these complex molecules where brought to Earth, a theory known as Panspermia. From these which evolved billions of years ago, came all life, presumingly from even simpler combinations of molecules called Prokaryites. We are thought to have come from this primordial sludge of carbon soup.

So what is the origin of the human genetic code?

I believe consciousness is cosmic, the origin to life, spans all of the cosmos. Of course, what I believe and what I can share as fact cannot be taken hand in hand. But if you want my personal belief, I believe consciousness is a driven nature of the universe, not so different to what me might call 'God.' The origin of all life, would come from the cosmic consciousness, that wants to express itself in various ways, perhaps in ways outside of carbon life as well. 

"Between 1947 and 1969, at the height of the Cold War, more than 12,000 UFO sightings were reported to Project Blue Book."

"The National UFO Reporting Center, which tracks calls and messages from people around the U.S. and Canada about strange sightings in the sky, reported that it received 5,971 sightings in 2019 -- a jump from 3,395 in 2018."

Edited by VictorMedvil