Science Forums

Antioxidant possible feedbacks

Ps2Huang

The prospect seems better at farming new organs/bodies than refurbishing old ones..
Concise and to the point Fish, that's what I like about your posts. I've heard it said that if you want to make a lasting impact on the minds of others, say what you need to say with as few words as possible while still making the significant point. This you seem to do quite frequently, deserving of some rep. in my opinion.

Concise and to the point Fish, that's what I like about your posts. I've heard it said that if you want to make a lasting impact on the minds of others, say what you need to say with as few words as possible while still making the significant point. This you seem to do quite frequently, deserving of some rep. in my opinion.

I would say that was my aim, but more times than not, I'm just lazy...Possibly one of my few consevative aspects... :shrug:

The main point is how to replace old cells with new cells.

Essentailly transplant then. With advancing stem cell research the "manufacture" or just plain transplant of just about any organ or system. The only real hurdle it seems IMO is that of specific brain disorders. Aside from that pop, the hood, pull out the grey matter and drop it into a new chasis. Some stem cell work to re-establish the spinal cord conection and stimulate blood vessles re-formation and off you go.

If I understand your question, what would be the legalities of such "body farming"?

It really would depend on how they were retrieved. If one grows new organs, etc then as long as it is done so you are not actually taking another life (ie a fully functioning human) then I see as no difference than how we farm products like insulin today. Also one could use donated parts just as we already do, as long as they go through a sanctioned group.

If I understand your question, what would be the legalities of such "body farming"?

It really would depend on how they were retrieved. If one grows new organs, etc then as long as it is done so you are not actually taking another life (ie a fully functioning human) then I see as no difference than how we farm products like insulin today. Also one could use donated parts just as we already do, as long as they go through a sanctioned group.

No, no, no! I meant using newly-cultivated organ systems to replenish old and aged ones, which might lead a human to live infinitively. In how many years do you think it will come true?

This could also be examined with your other thread about human memory.. The human personality is mutable and changes over time. Would you really consider yourself the same person you were 30 years ago. Perhaps a new set of classification of "human-types" would be neccessary and applied into law. Juvenile-->adult--->???? Perhaps we will look at huma cycles like those of insects with various stages and instars.

This could also be examined with your other thread about human memory.. The human personality is mutable and changes over time. Would you really consider yourself the same person you were 30 years ago. Perhaps a new set of classification of "human-types" would be neccessary and applied into law. Juvenile-->adult--->???? Perhaps we will look at huma cycles like those of insects with various stages and instars.

So you mean it's possible within 50 years coming to halt human aging chemical-activities and bring human who has been aging back to its youth? Does that mean current residences whose age are between 50 to 60 might likely be living forever due to future's contributions? And the only problem caused is that population may get overwhelming. We must find a way to let humen inhabit on outer-space

Also, is it possible to revive those experiments in cryogenic tombs alive once we have breakthrough?

I don't think that there will be an infinite lifespan, the brain cells will eventually break down just like other cells. What that timeline is I really don't knw. We have seen it vary greatly in humans already. You have people going senile at 60 and people mentally funtioning fine ay 100. There would not a halt of aging, just retrofitting worn out parts to a new brain. Once the brain was no-longer functioning there would be little left to revive. The biggest step would be in understanding fully brain activity and function, perhaps then repait of the grey matter would become an option.

I don't think that there will be an infinite lifespan, the brain cells will eventually break down just like other cells. What that timeline is I really don't knw. We have seen it vary greatly in humans already. You have people going senile at 60 and people mentally funtioning fine ay 100. There would not a halt of aging, just retrofitting worn out parts to a new brain. Once the brain was no-longer functioning there would be little left to revive. The biggest step would be in understanding fully brain activity and function, perhaps then repait of the grey matter would become an option.

I think that preserving the brain in a fully functional state for so long is going to be the biggest challenge of all. Even if we cure PD and AZ we still have an aging brain... Brain cells do break down and we slowly lose our identity. None of us really have the answers how to preserve the human brain but I doubt it would be impossible. One of the things I believe that will happen in the 21st century is we will slowly add onto our biological brain non biological enhancements capable of storing memory and working together with the brain... eventually and through a slow process the transition from biological to non-biological would be complete and you would exist on a computer chip... think of it as consciousness spreading. Far fetched? maybe... but it's good to have an open mind about such ideas.

I created a thread on another forum a few months back that deals with this

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?s=&act=ST&f=106&t=6478&st=0entry62323

it possible that we keep human's life span go on forever with novel inventions of antioxidant products or medicines or surgery? And is it possible to re-youth an aged person?

2 questions asked that the possibility within a few decades ahead.

You can't really take Antioxidants today from pill form or food that would actually extend maximum Human Life span. Although there has been research showing that if you were to actually enhance the the natural defense systems against ROS from damaging mtDNA. Getting your antioxidants from foods and supps wont hurt with helping average human life span by protecting you from many diseases that come with aging such as Cancer, autoimmunse diseases etc... There has been work done on mouse where researchers genetically engineered mice to produce more catalase in the mitochondria and then lived 20% longer. But the mice with more catalase levels in the nucleus only lived a little longer than normal mice.

What could help is to somehow give some protection against mtDNA mutations.

Heres what Aubrey De Grey had to say on that matter

"Only 13 of the mitochondrion's component proteins are encoded by its own DNA.

This gives us a wonderful opportunity: rather than fixing mitochondrial mutations, we can obviate them. We can make copies of those 13 genes, modified in fairly obvious ways so that the TIM/TOM machinery will work on them, and put these copies into the chromosomes in the nucleus. Then, if and when the mitochondrial DNA gets mutated so that one or more of the 13 proteins are no longer being synthesised inside the mitochondria, it won't matter -- the mitochondria will be getting the same proteins from outside. Since genes in our chromosomes are very, very much better protected from mutations than the mitochondrial DNA is, we can rely on the chromosomal copies carrying on working in very nearly all our cells for much longer than a currently normal lifetime."

Sound feasable?... but thats only one of our problems.

Aubrey De Grey says that there are a few more

You can read them here :

http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/sens/just7.htm

Also, if you want to make it to a time when we could see much longer life spans, it might be worth considering Calorie Restriction With Optimal Nutrition. I've been doing it for around 6-7 months now and most of my health biomarkers have steadily got much much better! as expected :evil: